Crowds Mellow At Hempfest, Authorities Say

Johnny

An estimated 100,000 packed Hempfest at Myrtle Edwards Park this weekend. And while it created a traffic headache on Elliott Avenue West and surrounding streets, police said there were no major incidents.

Police monitored the crowd -- at one point separating a preacher and another man in a heated argument. But late Sunday night, Seattle police spokeswoman Renee Witt hadn't heard of anything more serious.

Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman Dana Vander Houwen said there didn't appear to be any major medical calls.

Last week, Seattle police spokesman Mark Jamieson said Hempfest is one of the easier events for police because of "great cooperation between the organizers and SPD."

A month after the 2003 Hempfest, Seattle voters passed an initiative making the investigation, arrest and prosecution of marijuana offenses the lowest law enforcement priority when the drug was intended for adult personal use.

Medical marijuana has been legal in Washington since 1998.

Newshawk: JohnnyPotSmoker: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Copyright: 2008 Seattle Post-Intelligencer

We go every year. Some years are better than others. This year was crazy best. didnt seem to be as many people. For this I am sorely dissapointed. Seems we have more teens there and not enough adults as we normally do. This was noticed by the rest of my family as well. We take the kids (teens and adults) so that they are educated and can educate their friends, their grandparents, their friends parents, cousins, strangers. We breathe this kind of life.
We think it needs to be commercialized more. I know, I hate that word also. But all we have is word of mouth and some flyers posted to poles in the downtown area. We see none up here in Shoreline or Lynnwood areas. The longer we are here and go every year the more people I talk to that have no idea where it is or when it is.
This has got to get more coverage. Not after but at least a month before hand. Commercials. Internet youtube coverage. I really think we are failing people when were not giving them all the knowlege that we have about this, its there but its like "let them find it" I say no, we need to guide them to it.
Hempfest in Seattle WA is the 3rd weekend of August @ Myrtle Edwards Park. The speakers range from Rick Steves to Jack Herer. Thanks for your time.
Oh and the Hemp was a blast. So many new controversial things and artwork you wouldnt believe it. Lots of new stuff this year, minus some old vendors but still awesome.

Yeah I wasn't able to make it again this year.
I wonder if the authorities bother to pay attention to this. 100,000 people and not a single incident? Where else could you get 100,000 people together and not have a lot of problems.

I agree. I went to a bike week in laconia with a friend a few years back and there wasnt nearly as many people, but people were drinking and they got violent. There were so many arrests and people that got hurt it was rediculous.

Just goes to show - people who smoke are happy laid back people who just want to have a good time!

Back
Top Bottom