Curing Bud

Brett2theMax

As you may or maynot know, I am harvesting a plant tonight and was curious as to what are some options on curing my plant that I am harvesting tonight. I think I read that I can cut it down, trim it, hang it upside down for a week and then cure them in jars opening them up to let the gas exchange occure. What are some other ways. I was told to try to hang a few buds over orange peal's, changing the peal daily for a week and the curing in jars. What else can I do? I'm curious as to what all my options are, either way the buds going to end up in glass jars.

Edit:Cool this is 1500.

You have all the right ideas. I like to cut it and hang them by the bottom stem or with a close pin to a hanging piece of string. I have seen people hang them this way in large computer boxes for movability. You can also suspend them in a closet with air circulation for faster drying. After 2-3 days (or maybe more depending on the wetness) you can put them in the jars. I have also heard of putting them into paper bags to cure for a while but I have never tried it and assume that jars are the best way to go. It seems like you know exactly what you are doing so I'm going to shut up now.

Sweet man, just making sure I was on the right track with things. Should it be dry enought to smoke after hanging? i.e. the stem snaps and doesnt bend. Or should it still bend when I put it in the jar? I am unsure as to how dry it should be when it goes into the jar. Oh and if I put it in the freezer I dont have to worry about gas exchange do I?

I cut the buds off and dry them on a window screen.But also on a string with the sticks. I do the jar method for curing, its also called canning.
Orange peels are normally for rehydration but you can use any fruit and it gives it a nice smell.

brett2themax said:
Sweet man, just making sure I was on the right track with things. Should it be dry enought to smoke after hanging? i.e. the stem snaps and doesnt bend. Or should it still bend when I put it in the jar? I am unsure as to how dry it should be when it goes into the jar. Oh and if I put it in the freezer I dont have to worry about gas exchange do I?

I would not wait for the stems to snap to put them in for curing. Wait until you have noticed most of the moisture is gone and the stems are somewhat rigid. You do not want to be able to take the stem and twist it 360* because then it is not dry enough, it should just have some bend to it but not so brittle it will break.

I use my teeth to tell.Bite on the stem and you will feel it give and crack.
Your teeth are a lot more sensitive than your hands.

I have tried many different methods and found this to be the best- during very dry weather i trim fan leaves, cut up branches to about 2 foot lengths and hang for about 3 days in a small closet, when they get to the point were there kind of dry but the leaves still feel flexible i put them in paper bags for about three days, if they still seem wet i have boxes were i put screens in across the middle to allow circulation but not too much and i close the box for a few more days then they go in jars and i take them out and look at them once a day or whenever i get bored. after a couple weeks of this i only open them once in a while and smell them, and if they get too dry it seems the longer there in jars the freshness comes back.

ps. if they get too dry put an lemon peel in the jar but better to dry than moldy, good luck dont be scared

Back
Top Bottom