Do Cannabis benefits last even after high is over?

Annex420

I know being high is related to THC which is what gets you high and CBD is mainly used for medical benefits. I wanna know some people smoke Cannabis for Anxiety or Depression. After you smoke after 2-4 hours the high you get is gone does that mean the Anti-Anxiety type benefits are also gone? or can they last 24 hours or more, I heard medical patients don't always have to smoke everyday as the medical benefits can last over 24 hours after being taken. Is this true?

I know being high is related to THC which is what gets you high and CBD is mainly used for medical benefits. I wanna know some people smoke Cannabis for Anxiety or Depression. After you smoke after 2-4 hours the high you get is gone does that mean the Anti-Anxiety type benefits are also gone? or can they last 24 hours or more, I heard medical patients don't always have to smoke everyday as the medical benefits can last over 24 hours after being taken. Is this true?

There are medical benefits to both THC and CBD, however, I would suggest that smoking is not a good way to ingest for medical purposes. While the "high" does wear off fairly quickly after smoking (less quickly after ingesting edibles!), THC, CBD, and a host of other cannabinoids are retained in the system for long afterwords (which is why you can test positive in a drug test 30 days, or more, after smoking! ;) ).

If you're interested, I recommend you do some research on the "human endocannabinoid system".

Also, many people with anxiety & depression have found great relief from CBD. You should checkout some of @SweetSue's threads. She's been treating her daughter, who suffers from anxiety, with high CBD capsules.

I hope that helps!

:Namaste:

K

There are medical benefits to both THC and CBD, however, I would suggest that smoking is not a good way to ingest for medical purposes. While the "high" does wear off fairly quickly after smoking (less quickly after ingesting edibles!), THC, CBD, and a host of other cannabinoids are retained in the system for long afterwords (which is why you can test positive in a drug test 30 days, or more, after smoking! ;) ).

If you're interested, I recommend you do some research on the "human endocannabinoid system".

Also, many people with anxiety & depression have found great relief from CBD. You should checkout some of @SweetSue's threads. She's been treating her daughter, who suffers from anxiety, with high CBD capsules.

I hope that helps!

:Namaste:

K

Great thanks, I'm not prescribed pot for anything but I started 2 weeks ago with a 1:1 THC,CBD strain for my anxiety. I'll have to try a high CBD strain at some point. I does relax me a bit not 100% but its nice. Next step is to get of the SSRI I'm on.

Hello Jon. :hug:

A little clarity may help.

CBD gets touted as the cannabinoid that won’t get you high, but that’s really a matter of degrees. CBD consumption will usually create a deep sense of well-being that’s a euphoric experience, just not as intoxicating as THC.

THC and CBD are both medicinally valuable and potentiate each other so effectively that it doesn’t make sense to use them individually. Most of the diseases treated with cannabis therapeutics wouldn’t be nearly as responsive to CBD alone. So calling CBD the “medicinal cannabis” is a serious misnomer.

The reason the high wears off when you smoke is because they cannabinoids get fast-tracked from the lungs to the brain where they activate receptors across the entire organ. This response is almost immediate and will be more intense at onset than just about any other method of administration, but that delta-9 THC high burns off fast.

No matter who you are or what you’re using, if you smoke it you’ll lose the euphoric effects within a couple hours. If that’s the effect that’s giving you relief then you’re compelled to medicate again every couple hours. This is why so many choose edibles. The 11-hydroxy THC high is deeper in effect and lasts hours longer.

The same thing will happen with CBD if used as an inhaled medication: quick onset and relief, and quick processing of the cannabinoids. We think of inhaled cannabis meds as fast-acting relief.

Your question was whether the anti-anxiety and anti-depression benefits wear off with the high, and the short answer is yes because it’s the THC and CBD that’re bringing you relief from these challenges. The brain uses it all up quickly and efficiently.

Management of both anxiety and depression are enhanced by creating a daily base dose and splitting it into 2-4 dosing times a day. An infused oil in capsules makes this easy to do. Then you can use inhalation for breakthrough.

The definition of a high-CBD chemovar is one with a 1:1 ratio or higher in CBD. I’ve found that a formulation of 1:1.5 or higher in CBD to be particularly beneficial for anxiety. You’re using a 1:1, the best starting point. If it were me I’d gradually increase CBD for anxiety or micro dose the THC for depression.

An important point: depression responds best to the terpene profiles we most often associate with sativas and anxiety responds best to those higher in terpenes expressed in indicas.

Mixing that up can lead to some very touchy moments. Sativas cause suicidal melancholy for my daughter. Indicas do the same for me. Choose your chemovars carefully.

I was thinking of making and trying Cannabis infused Olive oil. Would the dosage be the same as tinctures? I just don't like the idea of using high level alcohol to make oil.

I was thinking of making and trying Cannabis infused Olive oil. Would the dosage be the same as tinctures? I just don't like the idea of using high level alcohol to make oil.

I don’t blame you. The difference is in extraction efficiency. Ethanol alcohol extractions get over 95% of the potential cannabinoids harvested, whereas an infused oil will give you only about 85% of what’s available. The remaining is caught in the mash.

Technically, a tincture is a liquid extract of an herb that’s taken as an oral medicine. They’re traditionally done using alcohol, but one can also use vegetable glycerin or other solvents. In a very real sense an infused cannabis oil taken by mouth is a tincture.

An olive oil tincture may not taste very good though, and it won’t be absorbed nearly as efficiently as one made with alcohol. It will, however, deliver cannabinoids to the system, just not as efficiently.

If it were me I’d be looking at an infused oil and fill some capsules.

I don’t blame you. The difference is in extraction efficiency. Ethanol alcohol extractions get over 95% of the potential cannabinoids harvested, whereas an infused oil will give you only about 85% of what’s available. The remaining is caught in the mash.

Technically, a tincture is a liquid extract of an herb that’s taken as an oral medicine. They’re traditionally done using alcohol, but one can also use vegetable glycerin or other solvents. In a very real sense an infused cannabis oil taken by mouth is a tincture.

An olive oil tincture may not taste very good though, and it won’t be absorbed nearly as efficiently as one made with alcohol. It will, however, deliver cannabinoids to the system, just not as efficiently.

If it were me I’d be looking at an infused oil and fill some capsules.
Thanks for the info, maybe I'll look in to other oils. Or ethanol which just doesn't sound good lol

Back
Top Bottom