"Dr. Reefer" Pushes to Legalize Pot

The topic of legalizing the sale of marijuana for medical purposes is one that generates a lot of controversy.

It's a subject one valley man wants to keep talking about, even though he just spent 19 months in prison for selling marijuana illegally. News 3's Anita Roman reports that Pierre Werner says he doesn't sell marijuana right now because he's on probation. However, he thinks he should be allowed to.

His mother runs his business for him right now, DrReefer.com. Werner says if Nevada allowed him to open a medical marijuana store like the one he operated in California, the state would benefit the most.

Approximately 60,000 vehicles pass by his billboard every day. That's exactly the kind of exposure Pierre Werner hopes to be getting.

"Since 2001 when the initiative first came out, I have always been in favor of medical marijuana."

An activist in favor of legalizing the sale of medical marijuana, Werner spent 19 months in prison after police found more than 100 marijuana plants at his Las Vegas home. Now a free man, Werner wants nothing more than to be able to sell marijuana to people who suffer from chronic pain.

Nevada law says anyone with a medical marijuana license can possess one ounce and grow up to seven plants. However, it is illegal to sell it.

"The ideal situation would be to have medical marijuana stores like they do in California," says Werner. "I myself owned a store in Santa Barbara, California, and I sold to medical marijuana patients. For what I was doing here in Nevada, the state of Nevada put me in prison. The state of California gave me a business license and told me to pay my taxes."

But lawmakers want to know what kind of price tag the so-called revenue will come with.

"Will the cost to society be greater than the revenue generated? What kind of gateway," asks Assemblyman Marcus Conklin, "is marijuana to other types of habitual-use drugs that will be advanced through the legalization and ease of access to such a product?"

Medical marijuana has been legal in Nevada since 2001. Werner says until he can legally sell it, he'll keep referring patients to people who do. There is a Senate bill on the floor right now that proposes to send medical marijuana patients who are growing eight or more plants to prison.

To be clear, Werner is not a doctor. He refers to himself as a horticulturalist.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: KVBC
Copyright: 2009 WorldNow and KVBC

The only reason pot is 'gateway' is because the current method of buying it from drug-dealers makes other drugs more accessible. Drug dealers typically sell more than just pot, and some pot users are curious; if it's easily accessible why not try it. If pot was maintained and sold legally through dispensaries (medical or even recreational) users would not be exposed to the other dangerous illegal drugs. Really, all the true marijuana users just want their pot. If they can go to the store and never once have to deal with a drug-dealer, pot as a 'gateway' drug would end.

Back
Top Bottom