First grow, can't you tell? Can you ID the issue?

wipeoutlol

Strain: Junk
Lights: 43 watt CFL (blue spectrum)
8" Airstone bubbler
CANNA AQUA nutrients

Good evening to everyone.

A friend of mine decided to try their hand at growing for personal use. Their resources are limited due to the third world country they just moved to so it is a bit difficult to find EC/TDM meter.

The main concern is the bigger plant towards the middle of the aerogarden. The other two were stressed.

The problem is that the water where my friend lives has a pH of at least 8+ according to a liquid pH measurement. The bigger plant was germinated in soil, then transferred to a plastic soup container with this basic tap water and seemed to explode in growth. It was then transferred to the aerogarden where once it began the third set of serrated leaves, a 50% CANNA AQUA nutrient solution was introduced. Growth was a little slower than when in the soup container. The medium being used is foam (soup container and in aerogarden).

However, the growth slowed considerably in the aerogarden, and the petioles gave out one night and started to form a declined angle giving a "droopy" look to the plant. At the same time, the tips of the first pair of serrated leaves were bronzing, and gave a scorch look, then similar colored spotting followed shortly after. It seems to be affecting the lower leaves first. The roots started turning tan.

After the impressino of a nutrient deficiency, a little more CANNA AQUA was added. The water was a mixture of distilled and tap water in order to achieve the desired pH of ~5.5 (measured with liquid pH meter).

The leaves themselves started to curl downward.

The reservoir was then cleaned out and run with pure distilled water for two days. Following that, and thinking the tap water could have been affecting these plants, pure distilled water was used with a very dilute nutrient mix of CANNA AQUA.

However, due to the lack of carbonate, the pH SEEMED to have taken a steep dive even with the minimal amount of nutrient mix. The odd thing now is that the leaves have sprung right back up again, and root growth is exploding faster than ever before. The pH meter is reading a pH of at most 4, growth has seemed to slowly start to pick up.

The set up is run under 46 watts of very high temp (very blue) CFLs.

Would really appreciate if some experienced growers would take a jab at what could be done to keep these plants stable, and why root growth would be at its maximum under these highly acidic conditions.

Using nutrient toxicity/deficiency diagnostic pages has given my friend a headache and some of the toxicity/deficiencies have the same symptoms.

Pics:

Last pic-(the small one appeared to have a bit of root rot which was peeled off but had white lateral root growth so it seems to be fighting for survival)

Don't mind the blondie in the background... That one and the other one thats fighting for survival were abused due to environmental factors which are now under control...

The main concern of my friend is the bigger of the three.

Back
Top Bottom