first grow, what method?

noway

Hello!
Unfortunately I dont have a solid & dependable connect and being tired of paying for a quarter and it weighing 6 g's, or worse, tired of buying an oz and it weighing 22 g's; has led me to this wonderful idea of home grown meds!:cheer:

I have my media (fox farms soil & organic feed with watering).
The feed I am not going to start until plants look well into veg stage, and the mix will be at 1/2 strength, all the way thru. I dont want to burn anything up!
I was going to go cfl, but decided on a 400 watt switchable ballast (due to watts per lumens). We got both bulbs also, getting a generic metal halide bulb for 24 dollars, but spending the money on a super hps by hortilux (not sure if a more expensive bulb is worth it or not)? I went 400 for a couple reasons, Im only growing for myself and a close friend, who doesnt even know, nor will he ever! I guess at some point I am going to have to come up for a reason why I am giving him free pot! Thats a funny thought, I totally trust this person, but I dont want anyone, except me, knowing what lurks in the closet:slide:
Between the two of us, I doubt we would burn up more than a half z a week. So thats why I thought a 400w, would be just fine.

The other reason for the 400w is the heat factor, I dont have the numbers, but I have got to assume a 400 watt operates alot cooler than a 1000 watt? The electricity will be less, probably marginally, but less.
I dont have the fancy cooling systems you guys operate, and the closet is 74 degrees without the light. I took the closet door down, and I have a 8" desk fan at the bottum of the closet entry, blowing air in, and a 8" desk fan hanging at the top of the closet entry blowing air out. The closet is 6x4 and 8 tall. The walls are flat white, I have a piece of plywood at 3x3 on the floor, to keep soil off the carpet, and to make sure I keep the plants in that good light perimeter.

I have not ordered seeds yet, but I am going with feminized for sure, as I personally dont see the benefit for standard seeds, as I dont plan on breeding. So, I dont want to waste my time or space with plants that would end up in the dumpster. All thou, one thing that makes standard seeds good, they price cheaper, so you can get them in high numbers and hope for the best. I think that scenario would only work best if outside, and not spending money on lights.
I have deceided on northern lights, maybe not as a great strain as others, but I heard its great for first time growers, and hard to kill. Besides Im sure well cared for, seedless home grown, is better than the crap I get on the streets!:roorrip:

Here is where I become torn: what method would be best? Let one plant go to maturity in a 5 gallon container and then flower it, allowing it to suck up all of the light without impedment from others. Or, should I plant all 20 seeds in 2 gallon containers, let them get 8 inchs tall and then flower. Or should I let 4 to 5 plants grow in 5 gal buckets and prune them back lollipop style, so they dont touch each other, allowing the light to penetrate.
I read about scrog, and that is something that I dont want to do, It looks like it works great, but that and bending plants down is not something I dont care to do.

I was thinking the 20 plants scenario, for a couple reasons, if I let a plant go to maturity, the lower portion of the plant wont be getting quality light, and if something goes wrong with the plant, then I have to start all over, were as there is safety in numbers. Plus the shorter plants will be getting more quality light.

Your experience and input will be graciously appreciated!
:thanks:

You do understand that feminized seeds are not an absolute? You still can get males and possibly hermies from fem seeds. Given the amount of space you have I would look at doing 4-6 plants max. Fewer larger plants will yield more than many small plants. I started 20 seeds in a 4x8 tent. Now down to 10 happy healthy ladies that could use some more room. If your closet is 73f without the light you are likely going to have some temp issues. Once you get your light set it all up and run it before germing any seeds. Gets the bugs worked out of your system before you start the seeds. Once you have that dialed in then start germing. If you plan on more than one strain, grow strains with similar characteristics. That way they all grow to approximately the same height. I started my germed seeds in 1/2 gallon buckets then transplanted to 5-gallon buckets about 3 weeks later.

If you plan on more than one strain, grow strains with similar characteristics. That way they all grow to approximately the same height.

or you can use crates, boxes, paint cans, or whatever you want to get the canopy to the same level.. you would need to do the same thing if you have plants at different ages in the same room

screwnuts,
thanks for the reply, yes I understand there is no such thing as an absolute, I also understand that fems can go a bad direction, but I like the better chances with fems, than with standard, and I would think they are worth the risk.
I think, if I understand you correctly, that it would be better to do 4 or 5 plants in a 5 gallon container, let them go to maturity, or a descent size, and then flower, but keep them pruned back, so they dont touch?
with the 400w plugged in and the fans running, I am at 83 degrees, which I realize may be to warm for alot of you pros out there, but I figured, hey pot grows in temps outside well above 100 degrees in the summer months, so I may not be hitting optimum temps, but it will still grow, correct?

highttide,
thanks for the response, I have bricks, boards, and some other crap laying around the yard, that I can use to "shim" plants even.

Due to available space, & other issues, I have no desire to get into a larger operation, so I could see using this one 400w a long time.

Im thinking after what screwnuts said, (grow fewer, bigger plants vs. a higher number of smaller plants), that I will try a constant yielding system by the following means: 2 plants in seperate 5 gal. containers, lollipop pruned, in veg 24 hours a day, 1 bucket will be veg week 1 and the second bucket will be veg week 4. Then have 2 plants in seperate 5 gal. containers, lollipop pruned, flowering 12 hours a day. One flowering bucket will be week 1 flower, and the second bucket will week 4 flower. The flower buckets will take turns going in and out of the grow closet on 12 hour shifts, the one in cool down will go into a dark unused bathroom for 12 hours, while the other goes back into the grow closet. I live alone, and have 2 bathrooms, so that wont be a problem.

I think with three, 5 gal. buckets going at one time in a 3x3 area (2 veg, and 1 flower) that I would still have room for a couple cuttings. If I do my math correctly, ultimately, I would have one plant coming out of the system (flowered out) once every 4 weeks. My friend and I only smoke 2 ounces a month (combined), so I hope that 1 plant a month will fill the order. Like I said, it would be a plant grown to maturity in a 5 gal bucket, but lollipoped in a manner that it would accomadate and share the 3x3 space with 2 other plants that are in veg.

Im going with the hps light all day, and throwing a couple blue cfls in there for the 2 buckets in veg.

What do you think about this set up and cycle?

I really think for your first grow, and it sounds like you have never grown anything, would be some bag seeds.

Do you garden? If so, never mind the bag seeds. Growing smoke is pretty much 95% good gardening practices.

But good gardening practices comes from experience and most of the experience comes from making mistakes, learning from them, and usually killing plants in the process.:peace:

You don't have to flower them out, but at least get to where you can grow them to flowering size before buying expensive seeds.

You will also be able to find out what works and what doesn't with your set up plans. Like, I really don't think the flowering buckets going in and out of the grow closet is going to work worth squat, but you may need to find this out for yourself.:popcorn:

Well cared for and grown bag seeds will almost allways be superior to the smoke the seeds came from,;)

DD

why wouldnt it? they get 12 hours of light and then 12 hours of dark, whats the difference if they sit in the same place for 24 hours, and get the light only half? Im just maximizing my space. Besides I allready ordered 20 feminized soma lavender, it cost 200 lbs

why wouldnt it? they get 12 hours of light and then 12 hours of dark, whats the difference if they sit in the same place for 24 hours, and get the light only half? Im just maximizing my space. Besides I allready ordered 20 feminized soma lavender, it cost 200 lbs[/QUO

I feel like I'm wasting my breath, but here goes. Flowering plants need 12 hrs of total, uninterupted darkness, no light at all.

So you are going to be able to move these plants twice/day on time every day for 60 to 80 days or so? Do a little reading and see if there is anyone else who has done this with ANY degree of success. It just ain't gonna happen.

Just because you ordered the seeds, you don't have to use then right away.

Get your basics down first. Or, you could just plow ahead and learn a very expensive lesson.

DD

people do have success with moving plants... you just have to be very carfull.. i saw somone on this site try it. if its outside a lot of people will pull a black tarp over the plants to induce the 12 hour period, that would have to be done everyday... my point is.. if you want bud you will do what you have to do.

droopy dog
Thanks for the responses, but I have to respectfully disagree, first off, my job is 10 minutes from home, luckily I only work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, so Im gone from the house about 8.5 hours a day, making being home for 12 hour cycles, very easy. Sure I may have to schedule my days events according to switching the rooms out, but hey I would rather be a slave to that, than anything else. Im really a pretty simple person, I only go to work, the store, and maybe an extra errand here and there, that never take more than a couple of hours, stuff like getting the oil changed in the car and the etc. So if im not at work, Im typically at home playing ps3 or watching tv.
Having said that, taking 4 to 5 buckets that are in 5 gallons each, and moving them 10 feet from a closet to a dark bathroom and vise versus is going to take all of 5 minutes, and I highly doubt a plant is going to sense the difference of 11 hours and 55 minutes of dark vs a solid 12. The doorway to each, (the closet and bathroom) are big enough across, to accomate a large bushy plant, so I dont forsee any problem with branches rubbing on the walls. I have also taken the liberty of cutting 12x12 inch pieces of plywood and put 4 universal casters (from home depot) on the bottum of each piece of wood, I figured this would make rolling the buckets easier than actually picking the bucket up. Please dont forget, that the bottum portion of the plant will be non existant as it will be pruned away for future cuttings. The transistion from the closet to the batroom is a hardwood floor, with vinyl lino in the batroom, providing an easy roll. The bathroom has been light proofed. In summary Im looking forward to utilizing my 400 watt, 24 hours a day, and having 2 diiferent sets of plants in flower at the same time, not to mention 1 plant as a stock plant going all the time. I appreciate that others have not had success doing the plant move, as Im sure, they had different factors involved. With all respect to you, to say that other people failed and that I am going too also, because they did, is just ignorant. I dont know how many times I have read different strain reports from different growers, where one had success and another did not, so my point is that, growing is not a constant. I would appreciate from you, if you could give me some valid reasons as to why it wont work, other than what you have just posted, by just plainly stating it wont work. Well, why wont it? I have stated my reasons for difference of opinion, please state your reasons. I look forward to posting pictures in May to see who was correct, consider it a friendly wager, that you have nothing to lose! Wish me luck

I wish you the best of luck! :smokin:

My first 'grow' was in 1971, and a complete disaster. I've picked up on a few things since then.:yikes:

Remember, it's what you learn 'after you know it all', that really sticks and I was just trying to keep your expenses down.:smokin:

Please do yourself a favor, and run through it once with 'free' bag seeds before commiting those 200lbs bought seeds.

Start a journal and let us all know how it all works out.

Peace.

DD

Back
Top Bottom