First time grower needs help and advice please!

newgrower92

hello all, this is my first time posting here so sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Im a first time grower about to pick up everything i need to start. I've read and watched what seems like millions of different articles and videos about indoor growing and i still have some very real questions and any help would be greatly appreciated about anything of the following.

I want to grow about 5 plants of all different strains, one kush, white widow, northern lights, purple haze, and big bang. I'm using bonza seeds which I've been told can be good and can also be bad. if you know of any other sites which ship to the USA and are reliable please tell me about it.

First off I'm buying a HID 600w lighting kit online on amazon, for about $150 I'm getting both a MH and HPS light with ballast, hooks and timer.

The thing I've been stuck on the most is what type of grow medium would be best. I want to use a soilless mix and I've herd that FFOF is good, and my other option I've been considering is a mix of Sunshine mix 4 and vermiculite. again i am very new to this so please let me know what you think is best and whats worked with you in the past.

For nutrients i was kind of stuck as well. i was thinking of buying the 3-pack from fox farms, (Big Bloom®, Grow Big®, and Tiger Bloom®) but i was looking for opinions on that. my other option was using a basic general
20-20-20 fertilizer (like greenhouse or jacks) for seeding and veg and then using greenlight superbloom for flowering.

I plan on using the wet paper towels for germination then placing them into rockwool, for seedling stage. after which i was going to move them into 1 gallon pots followed by 5 gallons before flowering. one question i have which may seem dumb is can u put the seedling in the rockwool right into the 1 gallon when transplanting or do u have to somehow remove the rockwool? I'm pretty sure u can put it right into it but id rather not guess.

Please Please Please people of 420 Magazine, help out a new aspiring growologist! let me know what grow medium would be best if those are not and which fertilizers are inexpensive and easy to use! thanks so much!

Hi newgrower92,

Let me start by welcoming you to 420 Magazine and the community of members that gathers here. I'm sure you will find the community to be welcoming, supportive and truly interested in your success.

With that said, I'm afraid I can't offer a lot of suggestions on some of your more specific questions. Like you, I did a lot of reading prior to beginning my first grow journey and can all too well sympathize with the variety of opinions on these various topics. At the end of the day, I didn't have the luxury of local access to these name brand soils and made due with what I could find. Frankly, it's worked out fine. I'm sure you've read of some experiences with Fox Farms soils being too "hot" for seeds and seedlings, but I've also seen it suggested that it might have just been a batch or two of that soil and things are fine now.

I would like to send you a private message re: plant nutrients as the manufacturer I use can not be mentioned in the forums due to some previous difficulties with as a former sponsor. I initially used some general purpose fertilizers like you propose above and ran into difficulties getting the application rates correct. I also experienced some mild deficiencies of micro-nutrients so I recommend against anything other than a cannabis specific nutrient line. It really is worth the extra few dollars.

Yes, you can put the Rockwool directly into the soil, but I confess I'm wondering why you would. Once the seed has germinated, it can be put directly into whichever soil you choose to use eliminating the extra handling of the precious seed/seedling. If the extra step to Rockwool is to accommodate a humidity dome, you might consider a DIY version made of the top 1/2 of a clear two liter soda bottle for the week or 10 days you want keep them in that extra humid environment.

Given the price range of the light you propose, I'm guessing I purchased the same light you are considering. The Apollo brand with the open air (gull wing) reflector? Without knowing your grow environment, this next bit may unnecessary - but that's never stopped me before! LOL

I consider my purchase of anything other than an air cooled (think cool tube) type of reflector to be a mistake. One that I wish to help others avoid. These lights put out a lot of heat. I grow in a 4x4 tent and if I required complete stealth and needed to keep tent door shut, the temperature inside the tent would climb to 100 or more very quickly. Obviously an air cooled reflector necessitates the purchase of a decent inline fan and ducting, but if you need or want stealth in your grow area, this is something worth evaluating and potentially budgeting for.

Be well, happy growing and again- welcome to :420:

thanks a lot for your advice and input.

my grow room is a basic bedroom that has been gutted with nothing in it. unfortunately, the temperature in the room, during the winter at least, does not ever get over 68 -72 degrees which is why i am not worried about the air cooled product because i need that extra heat.

The lighting kit I'm buying online on ebay is called:

iPower GLsetx600HMWING20 600-Watt Light digital dimmable HPS MH Grow Light System for Plant- Wing Set.
How easy are these things to install and also will i need to mess with my wiring or anything because thats kind of a deal breaker? i live alone in a 3 bedroom apt so i think it can handle it but again id rather not guess.

about the rock wool, do i even need it then? i was only going to buy it because everything I've seen and read has mentioned it and had good things to say about it. if i can just go from paper towels to soilless mix i think id prefer that.

i think I've also decided to go with a mix of FF ocean forest and Happy frog. both of these brands are at the only gardening store anywhere even remotely close and everything I've read has said a 1:1 ratio is a very good medium.

I am also very interested in the nutrients you were speaking about. please message me when you can. and thanks a lot!

Does any1 have any good or bad things to say about pure 1:1 ratio of FFOF and FFHF? still looking for any tips, tricks and advice from experienced growers!

Thanks every1!

Hi all just joined here been on other sites for awhile. if this is your first grow pick 1 strain use 10 seeds if normal 4 if fem. take the time to learn how to grow them right and FIM/top supercrop lst ect. take clones form your best female. once you have harvested 1 strain you know that strain. example some need more training some dont some need more P some use more water. you will thank me later if you do this.
Peace all

newgrower92.

Completely understand on the heat not being an issue. If it ever becomes a problem a simple household fan will deal with it. There are no issues with installing the lights. Grab some ratchet style hangers while your ordering that light on Ama*on and get two medium sized eye bolts from your local hardware store. Screw the eye bolts into a joist in the ceiling and clip the ratchet hangers (carabineers) on the eye bolt, hook the other end of the hangers to your light and plug the light into a wall outlet. Your done!

I haven't ever used Rockwool, so no it's not absolutely necessary. One very minor correction I want to make to ensure I'm not misunderstanding something - Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Happy Frog are both potting soils. Not soilless grow mediums like perlite or coco-coir.

PM has been sent for your review and consideration.

You do not have to remove the seedlings from the rockwool to transplant. I use peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae for my plants. I would mix your soiless mixture in a ratio of 60% peat moss, 20% perlite and 20% vermiculite. If you can get Pro-Mix HP you would only need to add vermiculite and mycorrhizae. I use General Hydroponics Flora series 3 part nutrients that can be mixed for all stages of vegetative growth and flowering. General Hydroponics Flora series can be used with hydroponic, soil and soiless mediums.

https://generalhydroponics.com nutrients flora series

https://www.horticulturesource.com general hydroponics gh flora series performance pack

After having germination issue with Jiffy peat moss pucks and soil I switched to Rapid Rooters and have had much higher germination rates. Rapid Rooters seem to provide the seed with the perfect amount of air and moisture. I soak my seeds in pH adjusted water for 30-36 hours or until i see tap roots. I cut the Rapid Rooter mat into individual squares then I soak the Rapid Rooter squares in pH adjusted water for 15 minutes before use. then I the seeds into the Rapid Rooter square then place them underneath a light with 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness. I do not use a humidity dome. I hand water with a syringe each day to keep the Rapid Rooter square moist. when I see roots emerge from the Rapid Rooter square I transplant to 5" pots in a mixture of peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae.

https://generalhydroponics.com Rapid Rooter

https://www.horticulturesource.com general hydroponics rapid rooter mat

https://www.perfectgardens.com gh rapid rooter mat 98

https://www.accesshydroponic.com rapid rooter mat

Back
Top Bottom