First timer needs advice

ComputerGeek

420 Member
I'm awaiting my LED to arrive. PLEASE don't make this a session telling me how dumb I am for buying a cabinet and not doing it myself. I'm preparing for my first grow and plan to do it in soil. Please offer any advice you may have.

Environment :

LED (4'x2' footprint in cabinet)

Planning 100% FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil. Is this ok?

5 gallon smart pots, fabric with handles. Can I get away with 3 gallon? I already own the 5 gallon so cost isn't an issue, just don't want to waste soil.

5 Auto feminized seeds

CO2 will be administered automatically and kept at 1500 ppm (when do I start CO2 and when do I stop it as far as plant age/stage? I know not to have it running during lights out) Plant as many seeds as what germinates, up to five.

The Plan

Germinate the seeds based on seed providers instructions

Plant germinated seeds directly in final pot, about one inch deep, lightly covered in soil (I've read that autoflowers do best if not transplanted?)

How far should LED light be off the top of the pots during this phase or should I just use side lighting or a different light all together during this phase? Should be side lighting be turned on at all at this point? The LED is a 600W equiv

I've read that, using Ocean Forest, no other nutes should be added for the first four weeks, would you agree?

I've also read that, after four weeks, I'll want to add nutes at 1/4 the recommended dosage on the bottle. Agree? When do I start ramping up nutes and on what recommended schedule?

I plan to wait until soil is dry one inch down from top to water and use water with nutes every other watering. Would you agree with this?

What PH should I keep my soil at? What about my water/nutes?

What humidity level should I maintain (I will have a controller to maintain it where I want it at all times) and does the humidity level requirement change at any point in the life cycle of the plant?

What temp level should I maintain and does this change at any point in the life cycle of the plant?

I've read that, near harvest time, I should completely flush the soil... do you agree with this and, if so, when do I do it?

I've read I should give total lights out for three days prior to harvest, do you agree with this?

What training, topping, etc would you recommend?

Need to know when to start/stop CO2 as far as life cycle. Plan to run it at 1500 PPM

Is it ok to keep exhaust fans off since I'm using LED as long as I'm staying in temp range? To help keep CO2 levels up, my controller can turn on intake and exhaust fans (and turn off CO2) only when heat is above the desired level and then turn them back off when heat is good (and turn CO2 back on). Do you recommend this or have a better idea?

Thanks so much for any advice you can provide.

The Geek

Maybe people have not replied because you've asked an awful lot of questions, many of which are covered by stickies, or have been answered already in various threads on the subjects you ask about, or youtube videos. You seem to have a fair bit figured out, and kitted out well too.

I will answer specifically the things I have experience of -autoflowers. They are super sensitive in my experience, and are on a "timer" if you like- they only have 8 to 12 week life cycles. You are right, it's not reccomended to transplant autos. Any autos I've ever done if shocked them transplanting them.
I think you might get away with 3 gallon- can you fit 5 x 5 in your space?. Smart pots are brilliant, I've only used them once and love the results. My 4' plant was in a 2 gallon one till 2 weeks ago, It was just a solid root mass when I transplanted (photo-strain) into an autopot. (Couldnt get bigger smart pots, had to transplant as she was drying out every day)
I'd keep the Led 18"- 2 ft away from seedlings. They may not need all the light you have, is it dimmable? I don't know about your medium, or nutrients, as I've only used coco.
P.s- I recommend the paper towel method of germination. Plus i'd check that soil is not too 'hot' (full of nutrient) for young seedlings.
Soil ph - 6.5, you will find charts explaining why- basically it's the point at which most all minerals are uptaken at.
Room temps - 70-85 degrees approx.
You need a higher humidity level in veg, anything up to 70. I try and keep it less than 60 in flower, lower would be better if geography allows.

Thanks so much Dobbi... you may be right, too many questions but figured better to lay it all out. I've read a ton of posts on here, including stickies, but so much seems to contradict each other. Was hoping someone may have done something similar to what I'm trying and have some pointers/recommendations.

VERY much appreciate your input!

Hi geek

Look out for LEDRF and thebeast some of the best auto-growers on here.

For germination I soak them in water for 24hr then in soil 1/2 inch deep.
Don't know your soil but 3 weeks will work without feeding.

Rh for veg ( first 4-5 weeks ) about 60% in bloom stay under 60%
I have an humidifier and a dehumidifier kick in at 57% to stay in control.

Most that run a setup with CO2 use an AC and don't vent the grow.
Temps 70f at light out to 85f light on.

Flush last 2 weeks.
1 heavy flush with plenty runoff after that just water in normal amount if dry again.

I don't train autos but the beast have some great success.
Would not try it with the first grow and only if you can get the strains they use.
I only grow autos if I set up a new grow while my photos veg so not to much expertise there.

Light about 20" away and than have a look how they grow, to much stretch ( more than 2" ) lower the light.

Back
Top Bottom