Grow Room Air Intake

leafer

Trying to find out if the air intake coming into my grow room HAS to be from outside? My room is in my basement which is already very cold down there and I had the air intake coming directly from outside. However, because it's freezing cold outside I'm getting ice buildup on the pipe and fan housing. Until warmer weather hits, can I have the air intake coming from the basement and pulled into the grow room? I need it in order to maintain levels temps and keep them from getting too high. I'm in the veg stage right now...

Thanks for any help!

I grow in a cellar and have to block off the outside air intake pipe during the winter. I still have to vent to the outside.
If I don't the whole room will eventually heat up and get very humid.

Thanks for the reply oldman. I need the air intake in order to bring my temps down a bit so I thought instead of intaking air from outside I could just pull it from the basement. Just wanted to make sure that doing this won't hurt anything. Once the temps outside rise a bit I can go back to using outside air. I still have the exhaust vented to the outside though

If you're venting your heat outside, then you can probably get away with intaking from the basement.

The most common issue is people vent their grow tent into the room that the tent sits in. Then intake from that same room so they really just recycle their hot air and it becomes pointless.

Makes sense JJ and yes, I'm venting the heat outside and not into the same room the tent sits in. Thanks for the reply, I'm sure this will really help lower the temps just enough

I have a room built into the garage. I will be venting to the outside through a roof vent, but I'm wondering how to get makeup air INTO the grow room, WITHOUT letting light INTO the grow room during dark periods of the day. A simple hole, low on the wall won't work without letting light into the room. I suppose an air filter will stop some light, but not all. How is this normally done? It must be a question everyone asks? Can't find an answer. Thanks folks.

Trying to find out if the air intake coming into my grow room HAS to be from outside? My room is in my basement which is already very cold down there and I had the air intake coming directly from outside. However, because it's freezing cold outside I'm getting ice buildup on the pipe and fan housing. Until warmer weather hits, can I have the air intake coming from the basement and pulled into the grow room? I need it in order to maintain levels temps and keep them from getting too high. I'm in the veg stage right now...

Thanks for any help!

I don't see any problems! For the past 3 years I have grown in a tent located in a bedroom, I intake (passive) fresh air into my tent from the basement and I exhaust into my attic and have never had an issue.

I don't see any problems! For the past 3 years I have grown in a tent located in a bedroom, I intake (passive) fresh air into my tent from the basement and I exhaust into my attic and have never had an issue.

Good to know. I didn't think it would be an issue but since I'm new to this I wanted to make sure first ;)

I know this an old thread, but information and practical experiences are key. The subject I'm referring to is exhausting into same room. I see this question all the time so here's
my experience and or :2cents: I recently bought a small tent 2x2x5 SJ DS and initially put it in my spare closet in my office. I didn't want to cut a hole in the ceiling even though it's an easy fix. I couldn't convince the wife unless last resort. So I ran the tent for awhile intake/exhaust in same room. I will tell you that my temps were ok 84 degrees highest. Held 81 82 consistently with mars II 400 led with vortex on high. The problem is your plants will be droopy most of the time and never look right with raised fan leaves like normal healthy plants. So I thought long and hard and I decided to move it to my laundry room. I already had the dryer vent, so I went to home d and bought some 4" ducting and a 4" Y connector to tap into vent. Basically make it two exhaust ports. The T DUAL port 4" splitter will get in the way for my application anyway and conceals the ducting behind washer and dryer. I've ran both washer/dryer at the same time and no issues. In the end, I'm glad i have the exhaust actually exhausting outside instead of the same room. My two clones have showed MUCH improvement and no hole in the ceiling which pleased the misses. I hope this helps someone in the future. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom