# of Plants — 3 each
Grow Type — Soil
Grow Stage — Flower
Buckets Size — 5 Gal
Medium — 80% Bamboo and 20% Perlite
Nutrients — General Hydroponics
No temperature controls...
Pests — No symptoms

This is my first grow endeavor so go gentle on criticism for the lack of scientific application. The only truly rookie mistake I made was handling a few seedlings and putting 3 to a bucket...I had planned to move them later but the rooting was such that I couldn't. Now I have 1 plant in 1 bucket, 2 plants in 1 bucket, and 3 plants in the last bucket. Next year will be different — of course!

I used FIM to get them bushy...actually I just used what I know about cropping other flowering plants and applied it to my Cannabis and just learned it's called FIM. But being a novice I didn't crop scientifically, I was just going along blindly making bushy plants. They grew plenty bushy, but now that October is here, I can see how my cropping efforts weren't well thought out.

Now that they are flowering like mad (and I'm totally stoked!), I'm afraid they'll go cherry-tomato on me and the buds will get too heavy for the branches. Do they behave like tomato plants or do they make smaller buds for smaller branches? And if they are as stupid as tomato plants, what, aside from buying/rigging tomato scaffolding, can I do for them?

16_weeks_and_Flowers.JPG

Howdy Frau!

This board has slowed to a creeping halt it seems. Hopefully you are still hanging around for an answer or already found one.

A simple solution is trellis netting like this:
outdoor_2010_37.jpg

Hard to see, but you can see the net running through the bush. It's stretched out, so that the plant grows up and through the large squares. As branches put on weight, the trellis supports them. This also allows you to spread the branches out through different opening and allow more light penetration. Also you can tie tops over for more LST (low stress training).

This might be a little late for you, if you are getting ready for budding. No problem.

outdoor_20102.jpg

You can use mechanics wire, string, whatever you have laying around and support the branches. Loop around the bottom so that it supports and holds it up, but also so it's not restricting. You can wrap that around the main stalk for extra support.

You can run pvc or bamboo poles next to the branches. Any branches in question can then be tied to the pole as a way of support.

Just a couple idea. Hope they help.

If it's still early enough in your season, You can always trim some of the bud sites. This will allow the plant to focus on the ones left and provide larger buds. Too many bud sites will lead to more "popcorn" type bud with less girth, but similar overall yield (if that makes sense).

Thanks and another question...

Hey RP,

Yeah, I'm lurking...and watching my branches. Thank a bunch for your suggestions, they are fitting for my grow space and easy and less expensive, etc. I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks for the "popcorn bud" comment too! I was JUST out there examining and saw this one plant has a bazillion hairy little buds, and I figured it was due to the variety of plant - but after your well timed comment, I see it's not due to the variety rather possibly due to my pruning. They are indeed popcorn!

I planted two varieties and I made the rookie mistake of not tagging them, and this mistake makes me unsure as to what I'm actually looking at or taking note of.

Now that the buds are forming I can see some differences and have decided that the popcorn plants are Sensi Skunk and the other is the Early Skunk variety (and still I could be wrong with that identification). The long beauties I'm getting from the one variety are absolutely identical to the picture of the Early Skunk pics in the Sensi catalog, so I feel pretty safe with that identification.

However, I've got these other 2 [mystery] plants (out of 6) which I suspect are males...unless of course my ability to identify is poor - which is extremely likely because I am, after all, new to this. My best case scenario is that the 4 budding plants are the Early Skunk and the flowering ones are the Sensi Skunk. Worst case scenario is that the two bloomers are male plants.

I think the dudes on the gender identification thread aren't sensitive to how overly unsure a new grower is when learning to gender identify. The 2 mystery plants have a bunch of little flower pods and nary a sign of buds, but they also don't have any of the typical signs of begin male in the nook of the branches. I'm even more skeptical that they might be male because Sensi Seeds are feminized and they give a 100% guarantee for their products. But I'm equally skeptical that they may be male because I didn't notice any flowering on my currently budding plants where these are just flowers (at the moment).

Any ideas?

Last quickie...can I dry and smoke/vaporize the popcorn?

Howdy Frau! Hope all is well on your end. Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Hey RP,

Yeah, I'm lurking...and watching my branches. Thank a bunch for your suggestions, they are fitting for my grow space and easy and less expensive, etc. I'll keep an eye out.

Glad they are of some help!

Thanks for the "popcorn bud" comment too! I was JUST out there examining and saw this one plant has a bazillion hairy little buds, and I figured it was due to the variety of plant - but after your well timed comment, I see it's not due to the variety rather possibly due to my pruning. They are indeed popcorn!

It will happen. Sometimes they will form a bunch of little hairy buds. As the grow continues, the flowers will cluster into one large cola. Hard to say simply based off a description.

I planted two varieties and I made the rookie mistake of not tagging them, and this mistake makes me unsure as to what I'm actually looking at or taking note of.

One of the biggest things that has helped me is constant note taking. If you water, take notes. Feed, notes. Prune? More notes. Note everything, and make sure you understand your notes when going back over them after a few months!

Now that the buds are forming I can see some differences and have decided that the popcorn plants are Sensi Skunk and the other is the Early Skunk variety (and still I could be wrong with that identification). The long beauties I'm getting from the one variety are absolutely identical to the picture of the Early Skunk pics in the Sensi catalog, so I feel pretty safe with that identification.

:thumb:

However, I've got these other 2 [mystery] plants (out of 6) which I suspect are males...unless of course my ability to identify is poor - which is extremely likely because I am, after all, new to this. My best case scenario is that the 4 budding plants are the Early Skunk and the flowering ones are the Sensi Skunk. Worst case scenario is that the two bloomers are male plants.

I think the dudes on the gender identification thread aren't sensitive to how overly unsure a new grower is when learning to gender identify. The 2 mystery plants have a bunch of little flower pods and nary a sign of buds, but they also don't have any of the typical signs of begin male in the nook of the branches. I'm even more skeptical that they might be male because Sensi Seeds are feminized and they give a 100% guarantee for their products. But I'm equally skeptical that they may be male because I didn't notice any flowering on my currently budding plants where these are just flowers (at the moment).

Any ideas?

That picture is definitely male plant. Sorry my friend!

My personal opinion - fem seeds are not all they are cracked up to be. Maybe next time buy regular seeds, and just be careful and separate the boys from the girls early on. Just takes practice! No worries.
Last quickie...can I dry and smoke/vaporize the popcorn?

Popcorn bud does have trichomes, so yes, you could vape it. The results might be less then stellar though.

And just to be sure... popcorn buds are small buds found on the female plant. Not the male plant. Males are useless for most of us.

So I also posted this pic on the Sensi Seeds forum and got a resounding, "yes they are male" response...sadly.

:rip:

I'm sorry to hear.

Make cold water hash with the crap and just keep the colas. I followed a utube video "coffee filter hash" and it turned out killer. I plan to hash all my crap from now on. I throw all my leaf trim away and use good trim only

Conradino, Ive only done a few grows and Ive bent them over and topped some before but this year Im heavy stress training HST!! Topping, cropping, and almost chopping! Zip tying and Bamboo poles! Bam! They are strong and mean. I dont want them big/tall anyways. First year I put those wire cages around and its nice cause I can bend a branch under the wire and it opens up the middle up. I will post more pics next week and you can see the progress. I followed the Fem. seed utube video and Im getting mostly males possibly,only a few for sure honeys so far. I will know more in a few weeks. I bred these seeds my first year. OG male with blue dream, Chem Dog. and few others. Im seeing what I bred. Not too sure how happy with results yet. Peace!
20160603_071851.jpg

Back
Top Bottom