Hello, noob questions to help me get started.

RandyL

Hi, I'm new here. I need help with getting my 420 stuff started.

I live near Los Angeles in CA. I've never smoked marijuana (or tobacco for that matter), and I have no desire to do so. But some of my friends here have their medical marijuana licenses and they smoke and 1 or 2 of them grow it also. I've been talking to them and was thinking of getting my license for medical marijuana and growing some to sell to dispensaries, one of my friends says he knows the guy who runs one.

This would be a side business / extra money maker for me, nothing more.

I'm not sure of the legalities, but I presume it's ok cause the dispensaries' supply must come from somewhere, right?

So here's what I've been told I have to do so far:

1. Get the 420 license / permit from a doctor. Should not be a problem.
2. Attend a class to learn how to grow it. I've been watching youtube videos and reading some articles online so far. It sounds kinda tricky with the fertilizers and whatnot, but I think I can learn it.
3. Speak to a dispensary owner and buy seedlings to get started with, grow them, and sell them when they are ready.

I'm sure I'm missing some details, but I don't know what they are yet. Any tips would be very appreciated!

Thanks

Hi there, and welcome

I think you are ok, loads do it. But I think there is a max of plant issue in CA, but im not sure.

But you dont need to attend any classes for this, it is Weed and pretty easy to grow. I can show you some good youtube movies that will teach you : How to setup a room, selecting strain, growing, harvesting and so on. If done correct you dont need many plants to earn some extra cash :)

Best of luck m8

Baron

It sounds like you are looking at this as a business opportunity.

You need to be very aware that this proposed business violates federal law.
And that the penalties if you get caught by the feds are severe.

Getting your state license will not keep you out of federal prison.

:welcome: RandyL You can get education right here' Keep reading' The GROWROOM forums.....Now on your money making idea. Sound to good to be true. Not that simple, Dispensaries Have people like you all the time coming in to sell product and turning them away!!. Just grow your first grow then see whats up after that. Good luck!!

Thanks for the answers so far.

Where do dispensaries get their supply from if it is not from individuals growing it like I was thinking of doing? It's not supplied to them by the government, is it?

I'll take a shot at trying to answer your questions. This my personal opinion based on my personal understanding. I am not speaking for 420 Magazine here.

Hi, I'm new here. I need help with getting my 420 stuff started.

I live near Los Angeles in CA. I've never smoked marijuana (or tobacco for that matter), and I have no desire to do so. But some of my friends here have their medical marijuana licenses and they smoke and 1 or 2 of them grow it also. I've been talking to them and was thinking of getting my license for medical marijuana and growing some to sell to dispensaries, one of my friends says he knows the guy who runs one.

Why would you try to get a MMJ license if you don't want or need to smoke MMJ?

You should read SB 420, Prop 215 and AG Guidelines yourself

This would be a side business / extra money maker for me, nothing more.

Clubs are to be not for profit under the AG guidelines and the state laws.

Here is great thread/post on this subject. I'd recommend you do your homework on this issue before deciding whether to venture into this area. Commercial Grower's License

You need to understand that to qualify as a caregiver, you need to provide more to the patient than just MMJ.

I'm not sure of the legalities, but I presume it's ok cause the dispensaries' supply must come from somewhere, right?

It's not legal under Federal law at all.

Under state law you can be a caregiver - not for profit

Anything else - you are assuming the risk from a state law perspective

1. Get the 420 license / permit from a doctor. Should not be a problem.

If you don't smoke or don't planning on smoking why would you want or need a "recommendation"? From what you've described, it sounds like you want to be a designated caregiver for multiple patients. This would allow you to grow a certain number of plants per patient under state law (see Merickson's comment).

420 Magazine does not condone people trying to get patient recommendations/cards when they are not patients in need.

2. Attend a class to learn how to grow it. I've been watching youtube videos and reading some articles online so far. It sounds kinda tricky with the fertilizers and whatnot, but I think I can learn it.

Maximizing the plant's potential is an art but anyone can "grow it"

Here's where you might want to start.
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

3. Speak to a dispensary owner and buy seedlings to get started with, grow them, and sell them when they are ready.

There are many ways to grow whether from seed, bought clone, or mother plant and SOG clone continuous system.

Where do dispensaries get their supply from if it is not from individuals growing it like I was thinking of doing? It's not supplied to them by the government, is it?

it's most definitely not supplied by the government (though New Mexico is looking into doing this).

Dispensary's are not clearly legal under California State laws. There are ways to form clubs under the AG guidelines that the state considers compliant.

Suppliers to dispensaries are not clearly legal in my personal opinion. The laws for now, have evolved to the point where the patient is protected. The first line distribution is somewhat in less jeopardy, but wholesalers (unless strictly qualified as multi-patient caregivers) are at most risk. The latter group's safety is large part related to the specific location of the farmer. For example San Diego is still acting like maniacs on this issue, Humbolt/Mendicino is more tolerant

Thanks for the links, I'm slowly understanding the issues more and more, I think. Lots of good information there.

So far it sounds like:
1. Get the doctors prescription / approval and card.
2. Join a collective, not a problem, there's quite a few around here. (Los Angeles)
3. Learn more about what kind to grow, more R&D.
4. Start growing my 6 legal plants, and when the plants are ready, they can be "donated" to the collective, and I can be "reimbursed" for my time and effort.

Am I getting it right so far?:thanks:

#1 doesn't seem clear

If you're not in need of Cannabis as medicine you shouldn't falsify a request and ask a physician to "recommend".

By the way the correct term is "recommend". There are no prescriptions because Cannabis is a schedule 1 drug, meaning no medicinal use. If a physician writes you a prescription he's got FDA problems.

You need a patient to designate you as a caregiver and you need to become the caregiver; which means more than just growing Cannabis.

I'm glad to see 420 set the record straight about the ethics, very good, the greed is what gives all of us into medicating and growing for quality and saving some bucks a bad name and why the LEO's can justify busting our balls.

Back
Top Bottom