High Concept: Artists Design Labels For Weed While High

Ron Strider

Picking out a strain of weed can be hard. Sure, most of us are using a budtender's knowledge and expertise to guide our purchase, but sometimes it'd be nice to have something more than words to process the high you're about to buy.

Enter 1964 Supply Co.'s new Artist Series, which brings little works of art and interpretation to each box. Each design is distinct: the peach-tinged baboons on the front of their Bubba Kush strain look strikingly different from the intricate and fantastical woman on the front of the Strawberry Diesel.

That's because 1964 asked the artist charged with each strain to design the cover art while high on the strain.

CEO Jesse McConnell said the company began contacting artists about a year ago.

"The way we wanted to (participate) was to capture that creative spirit, and to do that by finding artists who not just articulate our vision but articulate their vision for how to interact with this amazing plant," McConnell said.

Though they started by looking at artists on the West Coast, McConnell said they quickly became open to artists around the world who were open-minded and had a creative spark – and were into cannabis, of course.

The result is a line of 12 strains with artwork by nine artists, including Jeremy Fish, Lauren Young, Katie So, Ben Frey, and more, all individualizing and sharing the experiences for packaging.

The idea was pretty popular with all artists involved. Perhaps the most aptly put was Fish, who said: "My style fits with the strains that I have been assigned because they were two very powerful strains of grass, and usually when I create art, I'm stoned as hell!"

Of course others had to be a bit more covert; Joe Wilson, based out of the UK, was technically using it illegally.

Though Rubicon Organics, the parent company, is incorporated in Bellingham, right now 1964's Artist Series is only available in L.A. But McConnell says they're working to get it up to other shops in California and Washington soon.

In the meantime, click through the slideshow above to see some of the works up close, and read the artist's thought process in their own words. They may still not be the most perfect description (to each their own) but they're close — and a whole lot of fun

Artist_Series_-_1964_Supply_Co.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: High concept: Artists design labels for weed while high - seattlepi.com
Author: Zosha Millman
Photo Credit: 1964 Supply Co
Website: Seattle news, weather, sports, events, entertainment | seattlepi.com - seattlepi.com

Back
Top Bottom