HUD Complex Says no to Medical Marijuana

Jacob Bell

TUCSON, AZ - A Tucson man is facing eviction if he continues to use his drug of choice to help his Glaucoma.

Michael Izzo lives in the Tucson House, a low income housing owned by the city but funded through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development or HUD. That's federal, and medical marijuana isn't legal on a federal level so they're sticking to their own rules, not a good thing for Izzo.

To Izzo, who suffers from Glaucoma, marijuana isn't a drug it's a relief. He said, "Sometimes I feel like my eyes want to explode from the pressure. It's a constant thing its 24/7. This is not a cure it's just a little relief like any other medication."

That relief is why he rushed out to get his medical marijuana card. He said, "I've jumped through the hoops to get the medical marijuana card and I've paid over $200 and now they tell me it doesn't make a difference."

That's because the city is going with HUD's rules which says federal law trumps state law.

In a statement issued to News 4 the city Housing and Community Development Department Director Albert Elias said, "Given that these programs are 100% federally funded here locally, the city will follow HUD guidance on this matter so that we can continue to receive the benefits these valuable housing programs provide to our community."

Izzo got that same explanation, meaning if he smokes he's gotta go; something he plans to fight. Izzo said, "I'm wondering if they have the right to tell me this in the privacy of my own home."

But in the mean time he said he'll just have to hold off on the pot or find somewhere else to smoke it, that's because he said leaving isn't an option. Izzo said, "I don't even have the money to move if I had to move. I cannot afford to be thrown out of the building."

HUD houses and apartments aren't the only places dealing with this issue. MEB, a major apartment management company here in Tucson has already announced it will also not allow medical marijuana in its residences. We tried to contact them but they never returned our calls.

As for Izzo, he's already contacted an attorney and he said he's not the only one ready to fight this.

news30.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: kvoa.com
Copyright: KVOA.com

Back
Top Bottom