I-28 Turns in 61,000 Signatures

Stoney Girl

We turned in about 61,000 signatures of the 82,000 that we need. We still need as much help as possible to collect the rest of the signatures we need so do whatever you can to help the effort.

to me after reading the inishative it means that we will no longer be able to grow for our selves but will have to buy it instead. is this correct?

C/P
SECTION 3. (1) The Department of Human Services shall establish a regulated medical marijuana supply system. No general fund revenue shall be used to establish the system. The system shall be funded through program fees. The purpose of the system is to provide a safe, regulated supply of medical marijuana for registry identification cardholders and to provide revenue to help fund the systems established under ORS 475.300 to 475.346 and other department programs.

(2) The provisions of this section are intended only to provide for an adequate supply of medical marijuana for registry identification cardholders, do not allow any selling of marijuana and are not intended to change current civil or criminal laws governing the use of marijuana for nonmedical purposes.

(3) The purpose of the regulated medical marijuana supply system is to supplement the current system which requires patients to produce their own medicine. The system shall not infringe on a registry identification cardholder’s ability to produce the registry identification cardholder’s own medical marijuana or to designate a person responsible for a marijuana grow site to do so for the registry identification cardholder.

I-28 would create state-licensed dispensaries and state-licensed producers.

Patients would still be able to grow for themselves, or designate a grower.

It also creates a program to get free medicine to indigent patients.

It expands the current program by adding production and distribution licensure to the current structure.

Stoney Girl, I am in Salem and would love to help in anyway. I am currently a registered grower/caregiver for two patients, and would love to help with anything that would benefit our patients. I'm sure i could get some signatures down here. where and how do i go about this? What else can i help out with here in our capital?

Any opportunity to get I-28 into public comment and make legislators and policy makers aware of how important our right to garden at home or our right to work is good. Here's one opportunity:

Oregon Disabilities Commission committees to meet Feb. 8

Who: Oregon Disabilities Commission

What: Executive Committee and Employed Persons with Disabilities (EPD) Subcommittee meetings

When: Monday, Feb. 8, Executive Committee, 10 a.m. to 12 noon; EPD Subcommittee, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Where: Barbara Roberts Human Services Building, 500 Summer St. NE, Salem; Executive Committee – Conference Room 166; EPD Subcommittee – Conference Room 166.

Agenda: Executive Committee – Items include call to order, legislative review of bills, meeting planning and public comment.

Agenda: EPD Subcommittee – Items include call to order, discussion of asset portability, EPD training follow-up, other items and public comment.

The agendas are posted on the Oregon Disabilities Commission Web site, Oregon Disabilities Commission - Home Page.

The Oregon Disabilities Commission (ODC) is a Governor-appointed commission housed in the Department of Human Services (DHS). The commission is charged by state statute to advise the Governor, the Oregon Legislature and appropriate state agency administrators on issues related to achieving full economic, social, legal and political equity for individuals with disabilities. ODC also acts as a coordinating link among public and private organizations serving individuals with disabilities.

Reasonable accommodations will be provided as needed for individuals requesting assistive hearing devices, sign language interpreters or large-print materials. Individuals needing these types of accommodations should call DHS at 1-800-282-8096 at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting.

Here's another one:

Work to develop Oregon's approach to drug and alcohol prevention continues

What: Public meeting of the Alcohol and Drug Policy Commission's Subcommittee on Prevention

When: Feb. 5, 2010, 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.

Where: Portland State Office Building, 800 NE Oregon Street, Portland, Oregon, room TBD

Agenda: The Alcohol and Drug Policy Commission's Subcommittee on Prevention drafted a prevention framework and principles during the past three months. On Friday the subcommittee will review the draft, which includes a description of these four levels: primary prevention, promotion, universal selective and indicated. These four categories describe which populations each strategy or program serves. The subcommittee will discuss next steps and identify the prevention policy or policies that will be presented to the full commission at its next meeting on March 18, 2010.

To help with the Dispensary signature gathering effort call Voter Power at 503-224-3051. They need all the help they can get.

One question, as I haven't taken the time to read the bill as proposed.

Will I be able to offer my wares to the local dispensary? Or will HUGE corps spring up taking taking over all small growers?

Should I start looking into acquiring lots of Land/.warehouse space to grow?

This bill should not go forward if it will only allow a small group to grow for profit!

Restrict the amounts and I will support it...

My local Sheriff has already proposed a NEW tax on local growers....

Yes, the numbers are restricted. It is a stupid idea, but they did it to keep from having the words "increases amounts allowed under license" out of the ballot title.

Fact is, it is impossible to supply medicine to everyone who needs it for a reasonable price if you restrict the numbers. Keeping the big players out of the business does not help the patient. The cops love it, of course, because they still get to arrest people if they go over the limits. But limits do not help patients or growers, they just put growers in jeopardy.

You will be able to offer your wares to dispensaries if you get a non-profit business, pay for your license, and pay your quarterly gross taxes.

This bill will help indigent patients by providing free medicine for them.

Any person who wants to and can pass the criminal background check can get a license so this initiative will not allow "only a small group to profit".

Back
Top Bottom