IN: Cannabidiol Registry Still A Work In Progress

Ron Strider

In April, Gov. Eric Holcomb signed House Bill 1148 into law. The bill established a cannabidiol (CBD oil) registry for people with treatment-resistant epilepsy. The Indiana Department of Health was charged with building the registry that was set to launch July 1.

The registry requires families utilizing the oil to register, thereby avoiding prosecution for use of the substance when utilized for therapeutic purposes.

As of July 7, the registry still does not exist.

“I’ve been in contact with the Indiana State Department of Health to better understand the delay in setting up this registry," State Rep. Bill Friend said. "The department confirmed it’s working diligently to establish the program, so Hoosiers will have the opportunity to use cannabidiol oil to treat their severe epilepsy without fear of legal repercussions. I will continue to work with the department, helping in any way I can and monitor their progress closely. I understand the frustration of desperate parents who have been waiting patiently to provide some sort of relief to their child, and I encourage them to continue contacting the department of health as they work to put a system in place.”

This does little to ease the impatience of parents who are eager to begin using the oil for their epileptic children and who are wondering why this project could not be completed in three months time.

“Implementation of any new law can take time, especially when a new product has to be developed,” Jennifer O’Malley, director of public relations for the Indiana Department of Health, said. “We’re working to get the registry created as quickly as possible while also ensuring that it is secure and protects the privacy of the individuals who are listed on it.”

CBD_Oil_-_GETTY_IMAGES.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cannabidiol registry still a work in progress | Local News | flyergroup.com
Author: Stephanie Dolan
Photo Credit: GETTY IMAGES

Back
Top Bottom