Intermediate level grower - New strain for me this time

Raze58

420 Member
Hello, I have begun growing again as of March and this is my first batch of Durban poison. They are currently in the 8th week of 10 weeks flower stage. I think 2 of them are ready early though. I want a second opinion as the strain is new to me and I want to make sure I am right. Any help would be great. 95% of the pistils are brown/orange and the tricombs have gone an amber color. To me they seem ready to harvest just a week and a bit early.

Who is the breeder of that version?

How long was the stretch period? If around 24 days, I'd expect about a 60 day flowering period; but if around 28 days, I'd expect about a 70 day flowering period. (Assuming 12/12 light schedule throughout flowering).

Who is the breeder of that version?

How long was the stretch period? If around 24 days, I'd expect about a 60 day flowering period; but if around 28 days, I'd expect about a 70 day flowering period. (Assuming 12/12 light schedule throughout flowering).

Yes stretch for these was about 24 days. I kept this batch shorter because they came from seed and I wanted to get the best genome possible figured out sooner then later for cloning the best genome of the batch. Even the lower buds are looking good and ready. I started with 5 seeds but one was hermi so it was destroyed quickly. The other 4 had 2 mature much faster then the other 2. So I have 2 that look ready and the other two are about 50% pistils brown/orange and still very white tricombs

Br
Yes stretch for these was about 24 days. I kept this batch shorter because they came from seed and I wanted to get the best genome possible figured out sooner then later for cloning the best genome of the batch. Even the lower buds are looking good and ready. I started with 5 seeds but one was hermi so it was destroyed quickly. The other 4 had 2 mature much faster then the other 2. So I have 2 that look ready and the other two are about 50% pistils brown/orange and still very white tricombs

Oh and the seeds came from crop kings seeds

Looks like plain old phenotype variation, then. I'm guessing that whoever produces that strain('s seeds) for Crop King Seeds has, at one point, introduced something or other into the mix that finishes earlier (some kind of indica or mostly indica) in order to bring the average flowering period down a bit in the "finished product." Which is fairly common; for example, Flying Dutchmen (breeder) offers a strain called Early Durban that is a crossing of Durban Poison and Skunk #1. Some breeders use a name like that to signify a cross (and the reason for same), some will simply call it Durban Poison but mention that it is a worked strain in the description (and allude to what the other parent was), and some will just call it Durban Poison.

The (landrace) Durban does seem to have a relatively short flowering period - for a sativa. But not, AfaIK, as short as many of the versions/"versions" that are commercially available.

Since you've ended up with two different phenotypes, have fun comparing the two, lol. The effect profile might be somewhat different - or it could be more or less the same with the main differences in growth profile and "time to finish." If that's the case, then you can either concentrate on the one you liked growing the best or do a little calculation (total (dry) grams of bud per day (of garden time)) to see which ended up being more... efficient, I suppose. Which will be easier if the one that was quickest to finish also ended up producing the most - no calculator required then ;) .

Back
Top Bottom