Is Cannabis Actually Addictive?

Ron Strider

When it comes to drugs like the nicotine, caffeine or even heavier substances such as cocaine or heroin, we know that they are in fact, addictive. However, the answer to whether or not cannabis is addictive is not so simple.

This hot-button question is representative of a huge grey area of misunderstanding. The ambiguity stems from a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts around addiction, as well as an exaggerated history of “reefer madness.”

We must start by understanding the differences between addiction and use disorders.

Defining Addiction

Addiction is a disease that affects everything in a person’s life. When a person is addicted, chemical dependencies are formed. Thoughts are swayed, and everyday actions are consumed by the deathly grips of the hands of addiction.

Withdrawals are another main component of addiction. There are not only cognitive symptoms, but painful physical ones as well.

Professor Roger Roffman of University of Washington elaborates:

“The language of addiction, dependence, and disorders is one thing when you talk to scientists and it’s another when you talk to the public. Addiction results from a combination of biological and psychological factors that contribute to conditioned behavioral patterns that are very difficult to stop or resist.”

Many will argue that cannabis addiction can form, based on the belief that manifestations of addiction take place psychologically. Essentially, those who take this stance believe that since cannabis produces pleasurable responses in the brain, it’s automatically addicting.

While there is some truth to this, marijuana users aren’t addicts. And the small number of people who overuse cannabis, are still rarely, if ever, addicted.

Cannabis Use Disorder

People who have an unhealthy relationship with cannabis do not have an addiction—they have cannabis use disorder.

While it may seem like this is splitting hairs, substance use disorders and addictions are actually quite different.

When it comes to cannabis, there aren’t major physical withdrawal symptoms, like those of someone getting off heroin or meth would experience. But cannabis can cause some problems for people who overuse the substance.

Cannabis, like many other substances, can keep some from thriving in life. A resource by Medscape helps define a cannabis-related disorder as “a problematic pattern of cannabis use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress.”

So, rather than simply asking “is cannabis addictive?” the perspective of the question should shift slightly. We should be asking “what does cannabis use disorder look like?”

What Is Undeniably True About Cannabis

Stigmas are responsible for the widespread belief that cannabis is automatically damaging and addicting. It’s also still viewed as a gateway drug, despite there being government provided evidence that proves otherwise.

Medical cannabis fights a surprising number of diseases and disorders, including epilepsy, eating disorders, mesothelioma and even many types of cancers.

Smoking, on the other hand, is undeniably not good for us. When something is burned and smoked, whether that’s a cigarette or joint, carcinogens are produced. The produced carcinogens and heat can cause a lot of problems for our bodies. Smoking is also one of the most common cause of sore throats. Gum disease is also a commonly overlooked side effect of smoking, as well as other oral health issues and mouth and esophagus cancer.

However, smoking isn’t the only way to ingest cannabis; cannabis oil and other medical concentrates (including CBD which doesn’t induce a head high) are common forms of treatment for women’s health issues, anxiety, pain and insomnia.

Coffee_and_Marijuana.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Is Cannabis Actually Addictive? | Care2 Healthy Living
Author: Robert Parmer
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: Care2 - largest online community for healthy and green living, human rights and animal welfare.

If we define addiction as 'beneficial as medicine,' then we would have to include any medication that is effective for long-term use. I consider my diabetes medication 'beneficial as medicine,' but wouldn't consider it addictive. Cannabis falls in that same category.
:blunt:

As a former pill addict, knowing the full effects of an addiction I can attest that marijuana is not addictive. When I was using pills I could not go a day with out. It was as if life would end if I didn't get my fix. With drawls, cold sweats,pain, stress, anxiety etc... was absolutely misserable but despite the odds I beat the addiction
Marijuana how ever, I've been smoking weed since I was 14 yrs old. I've quit many times for multiple reasons an never had any issue. If I don't have any I might get a lil cranky due to the fact I dont have any but not cause I have to have it.
Since quitting pills, I refuse to even have Tylenol in the house so weed has taken place for pain relief, sleeping issues etc.

I have been a medical cannabis patient for about 8 years. And yes I am addicted to the relief it gives me for sometimes agonizing pain from a serious back injury. I also thank god someone suggested I try it and get my recommendation. I now use less than 10% of the pain medication I used before.

don't forget the horribly addictive properties of alcohol and nicotine. The worst I have personally had to kick in order of how hard and

stressful they were to get off: #3) alcohol in 1988 #2) nicotine in 1991 and number one antidepressants which I have kicked at least

4 times in the last 10 years and it damn near kills me every time. I stay with cannabis now, rather be goofy than a rambling wreck.

Back
Top Bottom