Islip Tax Official Charged With Selling Marijuana

Johnny

Islip Town's deputy tax receiver has been charged with two counts of selling marijuana, state police said.

Charles Rodriguez, 24, was arrested outside town hall on Aug. 7 on charges that he sold marijuana last year, state Trooper Frank Bandiero said.

Rodriguez, of Bayport, was released the next day on $1,000 bail at his arraignment in First District Court in Central Islip, where he pleaded not guilty.

Tax Receiver Virginia Allen, who appointed Rodriguez as a community aide in August 2006, and promoted him to deputy tax receiver in June, said she decided not to suspend him.

"As we're gearing up for tax time, it was my decision after speaking to the town attorney that I would keep him here working instead of taking a leave with pay," she said. "He is presumed innocent and I will take the appropriate action when this is all resolved."

She called Rodriguez, who earns $46,500 per year, "an excellent worker."

Rodriguez declined to comment through his attorney, Philip Murphy of Bay Shore.

The deputy tax receiver is charged with two counts of third-degree sale of marijuana, a Class E felony, Bandiero said. A charge in the third degree indicates the sale of more than 25 grams of marijuana.

Murphy said his client has no prior convictions. He said the sale allegedly took place on July 27, 2007.

Bandiero said Rodriguez "was part of a larger investigation that is still ongoing. Oftentimes, the arrest is done later to protect individuals involved in the investigation such as informants and witnesses."

Islip Supervisor Phil Nolan said in a statement that because Allen appointed Rodriguez, "any disciplinary action she takes is solely in her hands."

News Hawk: Johnny: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Newsday
Author: Jennifer Maloney
Copyright: 2008 Newsday Inc.
Website: Islip tax official charged with selling marijuana -- Newsday.com

Back
Top Bottom