Jurors Understood Case Was About Medical Marijuana

In my recent case involving medical marijuana patient Carroll Cummings, and my appointed caregiver status for him, Justice William Anderson accepted and approved Cummings' doctor's authorization document as well as the caregiver appointment document as meeting the requirements by statute to possess and provide Cummings his medical marijuana.

The jurors were instructed that they could apply the affirmative defense under the law to my case if they felt it applied. My lawyer, Walter McKee, had shown the jury that this was obviously all about medical marijuana, so the jury decided in just an hour and a quarter to return a verdict of "not guilty."

I thank the judge for his part in administering justice in this case, he has my respect. I thank my lawyer who did a fine job. Lastly, to the jurors who served justice in this case, I thank each and every one of you for your services and for paying close attention to the facts presented to you.

This case means a lot for Maine's citizens who need medical marijuana; you will see its benefits in the near future. District Attorney Evert Fowle says marijuana isn't a medicine, but the voters say different.

The judge and the jury now say different with this case Fowle just lost.

Fowle should start abiding by the oath he took to serve the people and uphold the law, whether or not he agrees with it.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Morning Sentinel
Author: Don Christen
Copyright: 2008 Blethen Maine Newspapers, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom