Kentucky Marijuana Oil Bill Heads To Governor

The General

A bill to allow the medical use of a marijuana extract passed the Kentucky House unanimously Wednesday – even as one of the potential beneficiaries was having a seizure on the chamber's floor. The measure now goes to Gov. Steve Beshear, who is expected to sign it into law. The bill allows trials of marijuana oil in Kentucky, something parents of children who suffer severe, repeated seizures from epilepsy hope can provide relief where other drugs have failed. It is believed to be the first medical use of a marijuana derivative approved in Kentucky since the plant became illegal decades ago. The stories of children – at least three of whom were on the House floor during the vote Wednesday – moved legislators to the landmark votes in both chambers, where the Senate voted 38-0 and the House voted 98-0 with two members, C.B. Embry, R-Morgantown, and Jim Gooch, D-Providence, not voting.

House members rose gave the families an ovation after the vote. The child who had the seizures on the House floor was 3-year-old epilepsy patient Michaela Greene. Her mother, Erin Greene of Harlan, said her daughter has had as many as 2,000 seizures in a week. "This happens on a daily basis for us," Greene said. The marijuana oil is "our last hope" other than a potentially fatal surgery. "This is, I'm hoping, I'm hoping, the cure for her."

Greene said she considered going out of state to where the treatment already is legal. "We've just waited and prayed and hoped that God would give us an answer for Kentucky to have this available," she said before the vote. Senate Bill 124, sponsored by Sen. Julie Denton, R-Louisville, allows the University of Kentucky and University of Louisville medical schools to conduct research and allow anyone enrolled in a U.S. Food and Drug Administration trial to be treated with marijuana oil. Supporters say the oil, administered under the tongue, has been shown anecdotally to provide relief to children in severe cases. The oil contains low amounts of THC, the perception-altering ingredient in marijuana. The measure also has the support of the Kentucky State Police.

Debbie McGrath, who is executive director of the Epilepsy Foundation of Kentuckiana has said about 30,000 children in the state have epilepsy and about a third have the severe seizures targeted by the bill. The House's only change to the bill was to add the name of Clara Gilliam of Hopkinsville to the bill. Sen. Whitney Westerfield, R-Hopkinsville, who represents Gilliam, said it would be the easiest concurrence vote the Senate takes this year. "I think it's a great honor for Clara," her father Jerry Gilliam said. "She's going to have a lot of challenges through this life. That'll mean a lot." The Gilliams already went to Oregon for treatment with the oil, which reduced her seizures and convinced them the treatment works – or at least would benefit from more research to determine why it works. The trip cost a couple of thousand dollars and they're planning to go back Friday, Gilliam said.

But in hopes of being treated in Kentucky, they've already transferred Clara's regional treatment from a Nashville hospital to Louisville. Rita Wooton, of Hyden, who hopes to have her 4-year-old son Eli Wooton treated with the oil to combat his seizures, watched the vote on the House floor Wednesday, where the Wootons' struggles were recognized. "This thing hits home in Leslie County," Rep. Tim Couch, R-Hyden said. "They have been going through one of the God-awfulest things I've ever witnessed." After the vote, Wooton, who has made several trips to Frankfort for the bill, wiped tears from her eyes. "I felt like I won the lottery," she said. "And I know that it's my kid that we're talking about but it's thousands and thousands of children and adults who are affected by this. It's not just a handful."

Rep. John Tilley, D-Hopkinsville, who represents the Gilliams, walked over to the families and hugged them after the vote, saw Michaela having a seizure and cried. "We're here to make a difference and when we can make that difference it means something," Tilley said. " ... One of the children had a seizure while we were in the chamber and I knew that. And it kind of hit me. It hit home how debilitating and how gut-wrenching these seizures are. ... Just to witness that seizure is a little overwhelming."

Rita_Wooton.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Courier-journal.com
Author: Gregory A. Hall

Back
Top Bottom