Lightning concern

2k13G

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, but I have been a frequent guest visitor. This site has an amazing database of answers. I used to smoke marijuana about every 2 to 3 days. But now, I've stepped it up, and am now a grower :yummy:

I have a question as far as my lightning goes. I started from a seed, and my plant is now in the veggie state (took about 2 ~ 3 weeks to reach veggie stage) It is healthy, I am using all the required and recommended nutrients that I have researched from this website. So the plant is about a foot tall now, and during its growing process, I have used a 80w Red Reptile lamp, fertilizer sticks and 5-1-1, along with h2o of course and a fan. Now I am still using the fertilizer sticks, and water it every 2 days (when the top of soil is almost cracking dry) with water mixed with 5-1-1 Alaskan Fish Something....

Well today I went out and bought a 300w fluorescent bulb (low on budget). I have it in my closet, and it is fully covered with foil. Its output is 4200 lumens, which I believe is ideal for one plant, in a small closet space. So, I just want to confirm with you guys if this is going to be enough light. My temp is at 78F and my humidity is at about 71%.

What do you guys think? Please shoot suggestions, I am open to any.

Re: Lightning concern....

Your humidity is too high, you might have problems with mold if it stays that high. Generally speaking you want to be between 40%-60%. I try not to go above 55%

As for the light, 4200 lumens might be fine for veg, however you might want to supplement some more lighting when you are in flower. You can get away with 4200 lumens but as a general rule you want 5000 lumens per square foot. Successful gardens usually recieve 6000 or higher.

Remember that the bulb is not distributing the light in the most optimal way, and the output gets weaker the further the bulb is away from the plant.

4200 lumens seems low for a 300w bulb. Is it 300w or does it replace a 300w regular bulb. You need to be measuring in true watt not what it replaces. Hope this helps, GL

I'm thinking the 300 watts is an equivalent rating. Most likely it is an 85 to 100 watt CFL.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also 4200 lumens for one plant is not enough (imho). I run 6 equivalent bulbs for two plants. Though I'm sure you can harvest something from one bulb, so it is a good way to start.

Prairie

Thanks for the replies fellas.

You have possible just saved my plant, and also added to my knowledge :)

I have added a small fan to circulate the air, and my temperature is now at 78, and my humidity at 51%.

Yes, it is a 300w Fluorescent Light Bulb. It only takes up 48w of a regular light bulb. It is super bright and warm for that matter. These lightbulbs are on sale at Home Depot for $14.97. The plant is growing real good.

Question, when is it safe for me to cut a clone off of my plant?

Yes, it is a 300w Fluorescent Light Bulb. It only takes up 48w of a regular light bulb. It is super bright and warm for that matter. These lightbulbs are on sale at Home Depot for $14.97. The plant is growing real good.

Ok, but just to be picky....
It isn't a 300 watt bulb. It is a 48 watt bulb. Huge difference. I buy 65 watt bulbs from Home Depot for about $18.00. Which are equilivent to 300 watt incandesant bulb.

As I said before, you can grow with that, but you will do better with more light.

Prairie

Ok, but just to be picky....
It isn't a 300 watt bulb. It is a 48 watt bulb. Huge difference. I buy 65 watt bulbs from Home Depot for about $18.00. Which are equilivent to 300 watt incandesant bulb.

As I said before, you can grow with that, but you will do better with more light.

Prairie

I agree. 2k you might want to keep in mind it takes about 4 times as much light to properly bud a plant than it takes to veg them. Your yield and quality will suffer greatly if you try to flower your plant with just the one light. It would be a shame to put in the 4 months only to have your main cola be popcorn.

You should check out the CFL tutorial thread. I think it is in the DIY forum, it has some cheap options for increasing lumens.

Back
Top Bottom