MA: Rep Rogers - 6-Month Delay Will Not Radically Change Marijuana Legalization

Katelyn Baker

One of the chief advocates for marijuana legalization in Massachusetts says a six-month delay to the start of retail sales approved by the state Legislature on Dec. 28 was inevitable and will not radically change the law.

Rep. David Rogers of the 24th Middlesex District said State Treasurer Deborah Goldberg has repeatedly and publicly said her office needs more time than the law provides to create an efficient bureaucracy to oversee the industry.

"I wish that the treasurer had first made more of an effort and then come back to us if she was having trouble meeting the deadline, opposed to this preemptive step," said Rogers. "But it's not shocking to me."

On Election Day, 1.8 million voters cast their ballots and successfully passed Question 4, enabling adults 21 and older to purchase, grow, possess and use marijuana for recreational purposes.

The vote received huge support in Cambridge with 71 percent of voters casting in favor of legalization.

As of Dec. 15, people could possess, use and grow the drug. The Dec. 28 bill, which Gov. Charlie Baker signed into law Friday, Dec. 30, did not affect this provision of the law. However, it does delay the licensing of retail marijuana stores, which were slated to begin Jan. 1, 2018, by six months.

"I would not characterize a six-month delay of retail sales as radical transformation of the law," said Rogers.

The Cambridge Democrat may be right, but the bill's passage raised questions about whether a handful of lawmakers should be able to impact such a controversial law outside formal session, which begins Jan. 4.

While Rogers said he would have preferred a formal session, he sees no difference in the outcome of the bill, and said there is "nothing extraordinary about informal session," which occurs twice every week.

According to Mass Legal Services, an informal session typically addresses non-controversial business of the Legislature and no roll calls are taken. All business conducted in informal sessions must pass unanimously; meaning the objection of one lawmaker could have derailed the marijuana sales delay bill.

Rogers, who sponsored legislation to legalize recreational marijuana use which formed the basis of Question 4, said while some modifications are likely, he is vigorously opposed to any changes that fundamentally undermines the law passed in November.

"In the end, the will of the voters has to be respected," he said. "And I believe in the end, it will be."

Capture284.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Rep. Rogers - 6-Month Delay Will Not Radically Change Marijuana Legalization
Author: Bram Berkowitz
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom