Making Your own TDS/EC/PPM/PPT Calibration Solution

Spicy2na

So I have been looking everywhere for someone to tell me where in the hell to get this damn 12.88 ms/cm solution. No one has every heard of it. I am a first time Hydro grower. Maybe I'm just really stupid and don't know what im talking about. Guess I need to look into this further and do man damn homework. So for my Hanna meter....Hl 98130 I need some damn 12.88 Solution to calibrate it. Now I might get the question why did I go with the 98130. You can't pass up an opportunity on ebay to pick one of these up for 25 bucks brand new shipped. I got a hell of a deal. Might as well learn how to use it. So searching around I found this link:

PPM Meter - ProjectWiki

Showed me how to make a 1500 PPM solution. Pretty sweet if my damn meter could calibrate with that. I tried it for shits and giggles. Just sat there like a bastard calf trying to clibrate. I needed to understand what 12.88 ms/cm really means.

So Looking up further, I found this converter:
Conductivity convertor, Siemens into TDS PPM and MHO

It was basically telling me that 12.88 ms/cm equals 8.24e+3 or a TDS of 8240PPM

So how does this make any sense? According to the first link, 1mg of solute per 1L of water would equal 1ppm. I need a solution that is around 8240PPM or 8240mg of NaCL per 1Liter of water for my meter. Sounds salty! Time for a rip.......
ahhhhhhhhh

Well my scale doesn't read mg. Convert it to grams I guess. So I need 8.24 grams of NaCl for my solution. Finally feel like im getting somewhere.

That's a shit ton of fluid. So lets reduce that
500ml Solution I would need: 4.12g of NaCl and distilled water
250ml Solution I would need: 2.06g of NaCl and distilled water

Sweet lets see if it calibrates now...... Fuck yeah! I'll test it in the 1500 ppm solution I got from the Hydro shop (always have it). Mighty damn close! Now to test my resivor finally after of two weeks! Holy shit 1580ppm! No wonder my girls look pissed at me and showing some burn issues! Time to rinse with fresh ph balanced water and hope for a speedy recovery! Hope this helps!

Thought I'd add this in here too curiousy of: Environmental Express

Converting ppm to ppt and μS to mS

Converting ppm to ppt:
ppm = parts per million ppt = parts per thousand
1 ppm = 0.001 ppt 1 ppt = 1000 ppm

A meter that reads 0 to 10,000 ppm is the equivalent of a meter that reads from 0 to 10.00 ppt.

A reading of 5000 ppm is equal to a reading of 5.00 ppt.

To convert ppm readings to ppt, divide the ppm reading by 1000.
For example a reading of 5000 ppm = 5000 ppm/1000 = 5.00 ppt.

To convert ppt readings to ppm, multiply theppt reading by 1000.
For example a reading of 4.00 ppt = 4.00 ppt x 1000 = 4000 ppm.

Converting μS to mS:
μS = microSiemans mS = milliSiemans
1 μS = 0.001 mS 1 mS = 1000 μS

A meter that reads from 0 to 19,900 μS is equivalent to a meter that reads from 0 to 19.90 mS.
A reading of 9000 μS is equal to a reading of 9.00 mS.

To convert μS readings to mS, divide the μS reading by 1000.
For example a reading of 5000 μS = 5000 μS/1000 = 5.00 mS.

To convert mS readings to μS, multiply the mS reading by 1000.
For example a reading of 4.00 mS = 4.00 mS x 1000 = 4000 μS.

So I finally got my 12.88 Calibration solution. Turns out that the (Homemade) solution was off. According to the Project Wiki site 1mg of NaCl would = 1ppm in a liter of water. I have found that utilizing this, my solution was a bit on the salty side. Don't get me wrong my meter calibrated with it, but I would much rather have accurate measurements than being a little off.

Back
Top Bottom