Marijuana Advocates Cheer DEA Agent's Exit From State

Marijuana-legalization advocates cheered the upcoming departure of federal agent Jeffrey D. Sweetin because, they said, they believe his views are not in line with the will of Colorado voters who legalized the drug for medicinal purposes.

The outspoken special agent in charge of Denver's Drug Enforcement Administration understands that he became the "face" of anti-legalization in Colorado, but says his exit doesn't mean the fight over marijuana is over.

"The person who takes my place is going to have the same mission I have," Sweetin said.

DEA agents are sworn to uphold the constitution, and marijuana remains illegal under federal law, he said.

A widely publicized clash

Sweetin was promoted to run the DEA training center in Quantico, Va., and will provide international support in places such as Afghanistan. The new assignment begins in September.

Sweetin was widely panned by medical-marijuana proponents during his eight-year tenure. The criticism heightened after Chris Bartkowicz, a Highlands Ranch resident who was growing medicinal-marijuana plants in his basement, was arrested after showing his operation in a television interview.

The DEA maintains that Bartkowicz was arrested because he was selling more plants than he had patients and his grow operation was within 1,000 feet of an elementary school.

Sweetin points out that the DEA is not raiding dispensaries that have boomed throughout the state. He believes marijuana proponents used the arrest as a way to build hysteria.

"It's a difficult societal issue that can't be broken down into soundbites," Sweetin said. "It's going to continue to be a challenge for Colorado."

Mason Tvert, campaign director of SAFER, a marijuana advocacy group, says he is glad Sweetin is leaving, but agrees that his moving on won't change the DEA's mission.

"One disingenuous anti-marijuana zealot is just the same as another, and I would expect that his replacement would be just as adamant about going after marijuana regardless if the substance is safer than alcohol," Tvert said.

As Sweetin became more outspoken about marijuana in Colorado, the personal attacks increased.

"Medical-marijuana proponents threatened my life and the lives of my family," he said. "We are not thin-skinned. It's OK to disagree with us, but I don't agree with personal attacks. That's cowardice. But people who legitimately stood up, I think that is fine."

Extraditions a high point

As he leaves Colorado – at least temporarily – Sweetin's sweetest memories are of the cases his agents broke while he was in charge, particularly the 2003 extradition of Mexican drug lords who were trafficking ******* to a ranch in Peyton.

"The pundits said, 'You will never get your hands on these guys,' and we did," Sweetin said.

Last year's extradition of Miguel Angel Caro-Quintero from Mexico to Colorado was personal for the DEA, Sweetin said, because of the man's brother's involvement in the killing of DEA Special Agent Enrique Camarena in 1985.

"All the dopers in Mexico know they will be caught by DEA at some point," Sweetin said. "Our system of justice is daunting to them. We can't send a message to them that we are giving up."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Denver Post
Author: Felisa Cardona
Copyright: 2010 The Denver Post
Website: Marijuana advocates cheer DEA agent's exit from state

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

DEA agents are sworn to uphold the constitution, and marijuana remains illegal under federal law, he said.

Fuckers will say anything that works for them.

Consider how the Fed's can't even uphold the constitution law with illegals storming the borders, with the Jack off at the top looking for the Spanish votes, what a fucking whore.

US government needs to step down too, useless fucks

I would not cheer to soon...LOL. I think there was an article where it is said he is getting the new job of developing the SOP for all of the DEA.

I really don't have a clue about health care, other than what they did seems like stupidity and a way to enrich the big insurance and pharma companies.
Constitution does not equal federal law because there have been many unconstitutional federal laws. And the Constitution has primacy over federal and state laws.

I think the make or break point on healthcare will be the mandatory requirements. The rest is basically regulation, aka medicare/medicaid type stuff.

I really don't have a clue about health care, other than what they did seems like stupidity and a way to enrich the big insurance and pharma companies.
Constitution does not equal federal law because there have been many unconstitutional federal laws. And the Constitution has primacy over federal and state laws.

I think the make or break point on healthcare will be the mandatory requirements. The rest is basically regulation, aka medicare/medicaid type stuff.

I hear the fine for not paying health care is less then the yearly charge.

I fell like many, enough is enough, look for a amnesty program for future protesters not paying even though the IRS will be giving the extra power with the need to feed the extra agents, what a fucking mess.

Does anyone know of any changes in the va hosp. Systems openion of mmj? I have seen many articles on the positive effects of mmj and ptsd but the va is a fed arm. :)

Just read something the other day where they are allowing veterans to use MMJ as medicine... 2012, it will be rescheduled!!!! Watch out, here comes big business and pharma into the mix.......... all Colorado caregivers should enjoy while you can, next year they will be screwing with us...... :peace:

Just read something the other day where they are allowing veterans to use MMJ as medicine... 2012, it will be rescheduled!!!! Watch out, here comes big business and pharma into the mix.......... all Colorado caregivers should enjoy while you can, next year they will be screwing with us...... :peace:

Na there fucking us right now, they'll be busy with Obama care in 2011 and ripping us off for insurance and pharmaceutical premiums. mofo's

already doing it in NorCal... Big GanjaPharma killing the mom and pop and people are cool with it. I find is so funny on all these sites how they hate big pharma but yet they support prop19 and the big four up north.

The Horror!

already doing it in NorCal... Big GanjaPharma killing the mom and pop and people are cool with it. I find is so funny on all these sites how they hate big pharma but yet they support prop19 and the big four up north.

The Horror!

Biggest part of the problem when voting is the bullshit double talk in what your voting for.
Country's fucked up bad, kill all that are in power and start over with no bullshit government.

The Horror!

Prop 19 and Prop 215 are different propositions and different laws. Prop 19 will not change Prop 215. The four industrial grows are for medical not recreational. It will be a free market for dispensaries in Oakland. They can purchase their medicine from anyone they choose.

Back
Top Bottom