Medical Marijuana Should Be Legal

I never thought I would say this, but it is high time for the state of Kansas to consider legalizing marijuana.

Since graduating from the D.A.R.E. program in elementary school, my train of thought has always been this: drugs are bad, marijuana is a drug, marijuana ought to be illegal. End of story.

My right-of-center political ideology, which developed as I matured, closed my mind further. I saw marijuana users as hippie, peace-loving liberals. Reggae fans. Potheads.

I hear news stories about people getting arrested for possessing bricks upon bricks of weed and think justice was served.

That was me a few months ago. That was before I really got a chance to investigate the legalization of marijuana. I was ignorant on the issue, and I don't like being uneducated on hot-button news items. So I decided to do some research.

Now I understand the economic potential of legalization and how decriminalization can positively affect the justice system. I also finally understand the medicinal benefits of the drug.

According to a March 31 article in the Kansas City Star, "KS lawmakers head home for break, leave budget crisis unresolved," Kansas faces a deficit of $467 million in next year's budget. And that's after slashing funding to the tune of more than $1 billion for a variety of programs.

Here's a thought: rather than cutting funding for schools or increasing taxes for families already struggling to get by, why not legalize and regulate marijuana? Marijuana is a legitimate cash crop, and there's no shortage of cropland in Kansas.

Through smart regulation, such as taxation and licensure fees, the state could make some serious bank. The nearly $467 million budget shortfall could be erased in the time it takes to roll half a dozen joints. Not to mention the possible boom in the snack-food industry as cases of the munchies would increase.

Legalization also means decriminalization. If Kansas legalizes pot, taxpayers would spend less on using prisons to house individuals charged with marijuana-related crimes. Law enforcement officials could focus less on catching those with an ounce of marijuana and more on tracking down the rapists and killers. Let's save our prisons' bed space for more violent criminals.

Perhaps the most compelling argument for legalization is medical use. Legislation that would legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes sits in committee in the Kansas House. Several states, including Colorado, already have law on the books allowing medical marijuana.

Democratic Rep. Gail Finney introduced the Medical Marijuana Defense Act (House Bill 2610) in February. Finney, who suffers from a debilitating disease called lupus, said she has met several individuals who use marijuana to ease symptoms related to their illnesses. She said one man suffering from pancreatic cancer used marijuana to help with severe pain and nausea, until police caught him. Now the man has to deal with legal fees and formalities, on top of, well, dying. Is this humane?

According to Finney, the bill's passage in Kansas is unlikely, especially considering the recent law banning K2, a synthetic drug with marijuana-like qualities. Finney said she hopes for an open discussion on the matter.

This shouldn't be a left vs. right, red vs. blue debate. Leave politics at the door and let's use some common sense for our economy, for our justice system, for our sick and dying. If discussion can lead to education and better understanding of the issue, then Finney has reason to be hopeful.

A little education is all it took for this close-minded conservative to consider it.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: K-State Collegian
Author: Ben Marshall
Copyright: 2010 K-State Collegian

Back
Top Bottom