Medicinal Cannabis Advocate Faces Adelaide Court On Charges Surrounded By Supporters

Ron Strider

An Adelaide woman who is facing drug charges for producing cannabis oil for terminally ill people has faced court, with dozens of supporters turning up at the hearing. Medicinal cannabis advocate Jenny Hallam made a brief appearance in Elizabeth Magistrates Court.

"I was hoping it wouldn't come to this but I knew there was a possibility it would and that, if it did, we would have to step up and fight," she said outside the hearing.

The woman's lawyer Heather Stokes said she would argue the charges were not in the public interest, and she was keen to discuss the issue with the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

"Last time I spoke to the DPP I got two comments – one was 'It hasn't reached us yet because it's still in the early stages in the Magistrates Court' and secondly 'When it does, I'm going to be on holiday'," she said.

Ms. Hallam's house at Hillier in northern Adelaide was raided in January, and three months later she was charged with manufacturing a controlled drug and possessing cannabis for supply.

She said she supplied it without cost to people with life-threatening illnesses.

"I didn't hurt anybody, I didn't try to break the law, I didn't deliberately break the law – I did it because people needed help," she said.

Ms. Hallam's supporters who turned up at the hearing included Katrina Spraggon, who said her eight-year old-daughter suffers from 19 medical conditions.

"I've travelled from Queensland today because I've had enough. I've travelled to every state to educate people and to tell people that this woman saved my daughter's life – I'm not giving her CPR any more," she said.

"She's been bag-masked, about to be put on life support [then] I give her a drop of Jenny Hallam's cannabis oil and she's sitting up in bed smiling and they discharge us from hospital."

It is legal in South Australia for doctors to prescribe cannabis under particular circumstances, but advocates such as Greens Upper House MLC Tammy Franks argue that getting suitable products is a problem.

"We've had technical legal access to medicinal cannabis for over a year now," she said.

"People are told in the community that it's legal and the Federal Parliament passed that law but we've had no way for people who are sick and suffering to access it."

The court hearing went for less than five minutes and Ms. Stokes sought that all the prosecution's statements be made available to the defense before a further hearing in July.

Australian_Jenny_Hallam_-_ABC_News.png

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medicinal cannabis advocate faces Adelaide court on drug charges surrounded by supporters - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Author: Rebecca Opie
Contact: Contact Us - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Photo Credit: ABC News

Back
Top Bottom