MI: Prosecutor's Letter Gets Attention Of Marijuana Business Owners

Ron Strider

Brendan Curran, Otsego County prosecutor, said the letter he sent last week urging marijuana dispensaries to keep "within the limitations of the medical marijuana act" does not mean he will be targeting local marijuana businesses.

In the letter, Curran said he "did not write to make any accusations," but that "those breaking the law do so at their own risk." Curran said he sent the letter because he noticed at least one of the local dispensaries advertising in "suspicious" ways and offering coupons for new customers online.

"It seems to me that's a marketing scheme that can't possibly be in accord with the caregiver/patient relationship recognized by the government if you're offering teasers to walk-in customers," he said.

But for some dispensary operators, the letter didn't inspire confidence that Curran was still committed to his campaign position of a softer stance on marijuana than previous prosecutor Michael Rola.

Chad Morrow, owner of Cloud 45 marijuana dispensary, 2631 S. Otsego Ave., said while Curran's letter "wasn't a threat," it did raise some concerns.

"Nothing's polite when you're saying 'you might face charges,'" he said after Monday's City Council meeting. "We're not trying to be criminals, we're trying (to build a business). It's nerve-wracking."

Last year during a police raid of the city's 10 marijuana dispensaries, Morrow was arrested and charged with delivery or manufacturing of marijuana, delivery of a controlled substance and operating and maintaining a drug house.

His preliminary exam is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 28.

Curran's letter stated many marijuana businesses have contacted him "asking whether law enforcement will raid their business."

"The only responsible answer I can give ... is that people obeying the law need not fear interference from law enforcement," the letter read.

Frank and Veronica James, who own the dispensary All Well Natural Health, 845 S. Otsego Ave., said they didn't think the letter was negative or threatening, and that Curran was just doing his job as a prosecutor.

"Our position on this issue is that we should always be in constant communication with the authorities," Frank James said.

Curran said while marijuana laws continue to change, his attitude toward the substance remains the same.

"Philosophically, nothing has changed for me since getting elected or since campaigning," he said. "I still have a lot more interest in going after drugs that actually kill people. I don't have much of an interest in marijuana, whether it's for medical or recreational purposes."

Brendan_Curran.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Prosecutor's letter gets attention of marijuana business owners | Gaylord | petoskeynews.com
Author: William T. Perkins
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom