Micro cabinet question

jimmylegs

I'm considering getting into growing for personal use only. I'm a complete newbie at this. Stealth is a must and I'm not really into trying to set up a super elaborate operation. But I would like to get a decent yield.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these micro cabinets (like the size of a PC)...specifically this one:

Hydroponic Grow Systems | Plant Growth System | Herb Growth System

This one is within my budget (i know i could build one for less, but that's not my thing).

this one is running CFL and would be desired from a heat gain, and power consumption aspect, but it seems like the box would get filled up fast and stay pretty dark on the bottom.

also, some input on species would be nice from you experienced folks.

I look forward to hearing from you....thanks

hello mate, I have been looking for exaclty the same, but in the end am thinking of a grow tent or building a small box.

but on the strain for your room, check out lowryders.
they are easy, no grow rate, just bloom, and are ready in 8 weeks.
Check them out,:ganjamon:

thx for getting back to me.

check out the same web site, I am also considering the little fridge. It's got a 150w hps lamp.

I think that this may be a better option as the square footprint may be better and i bet it's a little taller. also the HPS would give me more light than the CFL...do you concur?

do you know how reliable the seed companies are in terms of delivery to the US ( i see you are in the UK), have you heard anything?

when growing an auto flowering species:
1) can you still clip/prune to get more branches?
2) do you still put it on a 12/12 to for better flowering? or just keep it on an 18/6 schedule?

thx again for your help.

Hi no problem dude.

To the growing side, i am a bit new to this to, but over the years have read a lot about it and now getting my own sorted.

with regards to light, hps is definately better.

Now from looking in to this myself, i have found that it is not that easy just to think right i will get a complete grow room like the fridge you have mentioned.

It is a lot of money I see and you can get much better things for cheaper, see this for example HG Mini Grow rooms

even then it is a lot of money i have fou0nd for what you get.
You also need to consider what you want to grow in it.
I see what you are looking at is 24" tall.
Now most plants grow a lot bigger than that, so you will be lucky to fit one planty in there, and even then you will have to prune/bend it so it does not touch the lights ( that probably knocks off another 5" for the light fitting.
Thats why lowryders are good for using with this sort of thing.

Now i am not going to put words in your mouth, or try to tell you you need to consider something else, but you have to work out how much yield you will get to what you will spend on electricity etc.
Also you would not be able to stagger the growth in it.

Light - HPS is better than CFL, its all about the lumens and the spectrum of clour ( blue for growing, red for blooming ) the hps gives off mainly a red light.
Have a look at a chart on lights and Lumens for help on that.

Seeds - I have had some delivered here with no issues at all.
Seeds are legal to have, its not until the flower blomms that is becomes illegal.
And in the USA with your bum laws i dont know what it is like for seeds ( sorry not dissing the us, as have never been, just seen a lot of harsh reports on people getting done for smoking a bit of mary J and its so wrong!

Clipping pruning - Like a normal plant you can prune it to get more yield etc, this may help in your small space as it will stop the plant growing so high and force it to grow outwards a bit.
For lowryders - always keep to the bloom schedule for lighting as there is no growth stage, but they dont need a massive amount of light ( a 125w hps will do 3-4 plants nicely ) and keepit on 18/6 all the way through ( they only take 8 weeks after all )

I hope this may help a bit, and if not, then this is the place for help.
If i was to give any advice, it would be use this forum to the max, it is brilliant, and the people so cool and friendly.
There is LOADS of advice in the grow room.Do not rush in to anything, just take a couple of weeks to study it all first and make sure you have the best option.
After all you may want to upgrade it a bit later on, you dont want to spend a lot of money on something that you cannot upgrade to get bigger plants.

Anyway if there is anything you want to know just ask at any time and will always reaply, even if not for a couple of days.

I wish you well, and please keep me informed of how you get on, am always interested in hearing other peoples storys.

Take it easy dude.

no problem, good luck get back if you want any more information that i can maybe help with. I am no expert by any means, but if i can help i will.

thx for getting back to me.

check out the same web site, I am also considering the little fridge. It's got a 150w hps lamp.

I think that this may be a better option as the square footprint may be better and i bet it's a little taller. also the HPS would give me more light than the CFL...do you concur?

do you know how reliable the seed companies are in terms of delivery to the US ( i see you are in the UK), have you heard anything?

when growing an auto flowering species:
1) can you still clip/prune to get more branches?
2) do you still put it on a 12/12 to for better flowering? or just keep it on an 18/6 schedule?

thx again for your help.

Dude...I would go with the black fridge with all the extras it were my bank account !!! that babys tight !!! I am looking for an old full size fridge to turn into my grow room. Freezer will be veg , clone , and seedlings. The bottom is the flower room. should be pretty kool. good luck with any road you go man. :hippy:
LETS SMOKE MAN :passitleft:

i was sitting on a plane tonight for 5 1/2 hours with a pen in my hand doodling out a design using a full size fridge. i thought about the freezer as you described it...but i couldnt get off of the idea that the freezer would be a supurb spot to put the light(s)....

if you were to cut a big hole between the fridge and freezer and install a piece of glass you'd have an ideal chamber to isolate the heat and it would give you about 8-12 more inches of height in the fridge for growth.

if you sealed that glass up real well, you could then cut another hole between the fridge and freezer, install your carbon filter.

in the freezer, cut holes and rig up a couple of big fans drawing the air out of the freezer to the outside...hence the freezer would maintain negative pressure drawing air from the growing chamber, through the filter and out.

then you'd just have to install a couple of intake fans in the fridge box. if one calculated the CFM properly it should work like a charm.....

your idea though is a good one. with more flexibility in the same space. would you run that with a cool tube around the light(s)?

and here's an unrelated question....can you get clones off of a plant once it's flowered. let's say its ready for harvest and i'm going to cut it for drying....could I just grab the some of the buds off of a few branches, and cut those branches for clones prior to harvesting the plant? was that a clear question?

good chat (im sure we're not the only ones to use (or think about using) a fridge for this purpose.

whats up Jimmylegs...Ya the fridge idea has been burning a hole in my head since I've decided to go that route. Your Idea about taking the freezer shelf is a good, well worth trying. I am going to go with some lowrider strain so the hight issue is not an issue. Going to go with two plants at first and see how things go with the flowering area space. I am going with the intake fans on the bottom and exhaust up top of flowering area. I think im trying the veg room / freezer part on the first grow and see how she goes, I can always take out the shelf easier than putting back in, if i need, then I'll cut her out . I like the cool tube deal but dont know much about those, are they the tube you put your bulb in and attach a vent hose on each side? If so I am going to look into those, I like that idea. This is the fun part, comming up with the plans...I have a note book full of blueprints and notes allready, cant wait to start.
The cloning question, I've seen here somewhere. You can convert them back to veg state once into flowering but I'm not shure how long into flowering they can be. Its here somewhare, look in the "grow" forum part. peace for now...:hippy:
LETS SMOKE MAN...... :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom