My first grow box

Bud Farmer

hey everyone I just made my first grow box a little bit ago so I wanted some input on it letting me know how I did. I had a very tight budget it cost me about 50 bucks total, but please let me know on modifications I can make to it. Here it is.

growpic0.jpg

Here's the exhaust fan.

growpic.jpg

you should make a small active carbon box filter for your exaust fan, they arent hard to make at all and pretty damn cheap. but they take alot of the smell away. im 3 weeks into my grow and my room stank! haha, a filter saved alot of greef. nice set up though! cheers mate

Cool thanks for the input. I looked up how to make those, but where do you get the carbon to put in it?

for the active carbon just hit up like walmart, its in the fish & aquarium area, look for the pumps and filters it will be around there

Looks great, same idea I'm going for. I love the lights plugged into the power strip, I never would have thought to do that. From what I've read and seen, I think it would be a good idea to add mylar to the inside walls, as much as you can. The more the light reflects, the more plant is exposed to light. Just an idea... and how are you powering the computer fan? I have like 15 lying around from old computers, and cant really think of a way to power them, short of a computer PSU, motherboard, and all that garbage.

Keep updating! I wanna see how this turns out...

Thanks for the input everyone. I love all your suggestions I just added more lights and once I get paid I'm making the bucket with the ona gel to neutralize the odor (as I just went into flowering). I would add Mylar, but I can't find it anywhere(not even the hydro store has it). If anyone knows where to get it that would priceless info.

To power the computer fan
1. I took a 12 volt adapter cut off the end and striped the two wires about two cm from the end.
2. Then I did the same to the fan, which actually had three wires(one black, one red, and one yellow, the yellow one isn't necessary always if it is just splice the red and yellow together).
3.Next I tested the connection by touching each wire from the adapter to the fan wires together when the adapter was plugged in(this will only work one way, if it doesn't work at first try switching the wires). If the adapter wires are color coded remember black to black and red to red.
4. I then twisted them together wrapped them in electric tape and plugged it in.
Be very careful when doing this, safety first. Never touch the bare wires when the adapter is plugged in.

Sweet instructable on the fan, Farmer. As for the Mylar, check out arts and crafts shops, and if that fails go to the local party store and buy a few balloons. Just cut em up and use the insides.

You really don't need to put mylar on the walls seeing as how your cab is white inside but if ya really think that ya want it grab one or two emergency blankets from walmart their only like $1-2.

Sweet instructable on the fan, Farmer. As for the Mylar, check out arts and crafts shops, and if that fails go to the local party store and buy a few balloons. Just cut em up and use the insides.

You really don't need to put mylar on the walls seeing as how your cab is white inside but if ya really think that ya want it grab one or two emergency blankets from walmart their only like $1-2.

WOW balloons and emergency blankets can be used that's way cheaper than reflective Mylar! I was going to put up aluminum foil, until I read that it is terrible for light reflection and the white paint reflects it far better. I might just go with the blankets or balloons though. Good info though.

I was planning on also building a bottom piece(that would directly connect with the inside of the box shown earlier in the thread) that would be about an 8 gallon container to put the soil in to make more room for the plant to grow in the top section. This way I also wouldn't have to worry about transplanting. Would any of you recommend this? Also I was thinking of installing another pc fan, however I'm not sure this is necessary. The fan I currently have has a cfm rate of about 30. The box measurements are 15"x12"x27", and it has a passive intake on the bottom. Looking forward to more input and I'm posting more pics of upgrades soon.

Lol Stretch, love your sig; its classic (Im libertarian) You want funny? Here's funny...

My buddy and I are starting a grow in a fishtank, its pretty big but not sure the exact dimensions. Were gonna line it with mylar, stick a low-speed high-volume fan inside it, build a hood with some sort of grow light and exhaust fan, and put one of those CFL bulbs about 2-3 inches from each corner. It should be very interesting, to say the least. We'll probably stick 2 or maybe 3 plants for starters, then move to a larger setup once we've outgrown the fishtank.

OP, are you gonna start a journal? I'd definitely like to see the results of this setup!

Lol Stretch, love your sig; its classic (Im libertarian) You want funny? Here's funny...

My buddy and I are starting a grow in a fishtank, its pretty big but not sure the exact dimensions. Were gonna line it with mylar, stick a low-speed high-volume fan inside it, build a hood with some sort of grow light and exhaust fan, and put one of those CFL bulbs about 2-3 inches from each corner. It should be very interesting, to say the least. We'll probably stick 2 or maybe 3 plants for starters, then move to a larger setup once we've outgrown the fishtank.

OP, are you gonna start a journal? I'd definitely like to see the results of this setup!

that's an awesome idea, I like creative grows. You definitely should do a grow journal on that one.

I was thinking about starting a journal, but I'm already 5 days into flowering and It was just a bagseed. More of a experiment to see if the setup works, but I think it's a male. Any way I might start one for my next grow, I'm limited to probably 2 plants per grow(because of the lack of width in the box), but its for my own use. Only problem Is the seeds are northern lights, but not guaranteed females. Do you still think I should start one?

Back
Top Bottom