need some reflector fan advice

Papageno

I bought an 8" reflector like this and a good sized fan. Never had one like this before.
8inch-hood-iso1.jpg

Most of the images I see of hoods like this have the vent hose connected but no fan. So I want to know if it is common to put the fan outside the room? I was thinking inside would make it a bit quieter. I can see not attaching it directly to the hood because that would make adjusting height it difficult. Do you guys think it matters much if I hung the fan inside or is there really that big an improvement to having it outside. The only thing I can think is if I do it inside you have to run the intake through a hose instead of being open. But it is a 720 CFM fan which is a lot just for a light and I was planning to run it on a speed controller to slow it down to reduce noise anyway so it should not be overloaded too much. I also have a different fan on a carbon scrubber to actually exhaust the room so the room should be cool.

So I am thinking I want to hang the fan right by the vent hole inside the tent (I have a gorilla 5x5 tent). Then run a ~6" - 1' length of hose (or maybe solid duct), just enough to get outside the sleeve, for intake and flex hose from the fan to the hood.

thanks

im assuming this device here has two open ends?

If it were me, i'd have the carbon filter on one end of the light (directly) with the fan on the other and then hose thereafter.
In your case, because you're venting elsewhere, i'd say you could leave one side of this hood open and vent on the other end with the fan outside the tent if need be; at 720cfm it'll still extract plenty without needing to be hugging the light.

Thanks.

So I know you can use one fan for both but I am not doing that for certain reasons not related to what I am asking here.

Yes If you look in the top left you can see the other side has an opening.

What you are describing I believe would vent unfiltered air outside the tent which is not what I am attempting to do. In fact to prevent smell I am blowing over the bulb to create positive pressure in the hood, rather than sucking air at the other side. This way if any air leaks happen over time then the air flow will be into the tent instead of sucking unfiltered air into my exterior space.

So to be clear I have my tent in a space where I want my carbon filter to do all of the removal of air from the tent. The pass through style of hood is intended to be isolated from the tent and the the air through that is not to mix with air in the tent. Of course if an air leak occurs then mixing would happen but since I am blowing not sucking it will vent into the tent and not cause smell to escape.

So my question was more basic I think. I typically do not see the fan in the tent. So it must be external. I was just wondering if there is a reason for this or is it coincidence. I can think of a 3 minor reasons why having the fan outside the tent is beneficial (2 of them would increase fan reliability). But they seem not a big issue to me. I would rather hang it just inside the sleeve and use the tent to help silence the fan some. So I am wondering if there is a real problem with doing this as I never see it?

thanks

The biggest thing about the fan is noise and vibrations.

I Recommend you to watch all the playlist in this videos b/c it talks alot about fan set up... thanks

[video=youtube;9owgHHkNBj8]
[/video]

Back
Top Bottom