New Grow Cabinet, Need Advice

Tokensmoke10

I'm designing a grow cabinet (3.7 sq ft) and am looking for advice on how to construct some of the elements of it.

box6.jpeg

Bottom painted black to hopefully work with the carpet to absorb light coming through the intakes

box5.jpeg

2586.jpg

As you can see, the 2 intakes up top along with the holes along the floor for intake (there is a gap between the floor in the box and the floor itself)

1. Trying passive intake
- My exhaust fans are 2 120mm axial fans rated at 62 CFM. Giving a little wiggle room the surface area of both fans is 45 1/8 in sq. I've read multiple threads concerning weather to make your intake holes smaller or bigger than exhaust. Can anyone give me a viable answer to which one is best to my cabinet. But the math I did made the total surface area 1/5 times the surface area of the exhaust (90.25 sq in).
- I did some math and if I put 5 intakes on each side it allows for 6.77 in sq OR about 2.6 in squares.
- Taking off 2 in the front and an inch in the back, that allows me about 15.75 in long to place the holes in. If each square is 2.6 in on one side and I allow .375 (3/8) in between each square then that adds up to 14.5 in total. So I assume all of the squares and gaps in between will fit.

Does all of that sound legit?

2. Active intake
- A much easier option would be an active intake with one of my fans instead of having both exhaust. Would this work as well/better/worse than my passive intake? Threads on this topic always seem to go back and forth to which is better. I'm planning on using 12 27watt CFL's for a total of 324 watts. This could potentially heat things up a bit and I've read that passive intakes cool cabinets better.

Any advice or input it welcome
and sorry for the wall of text! :grinjoint:

Hi Token,
I'm in the process of building my own box and I have read a lot about proper ventilation. Active intake is a NO GO: fans mess up air circulation. as far as passive intake, they should be twice the size of an exhaust. I'll PM you great link that will answer many questions regarding venting/cooling...

Passive rulez...I hear a lot about having twice the area of inlet as opposed to outlet. I don't think that's enough. I'd say to stay away from any kind of positive pressure, one should have at least 3 times the return to the 1 supply. When I first started my project, when I went to close the doors, they would literally suck shut. Also, when designing your box, realize heat rises and cool air settles. Keep your passives down low and your actives up high. Keep us posted and be sure and post some pics! Peace

DSCF8410.JPG

Back
Top Bottom