New Jersey: Senate Hearing To Focus On Possibility Of Legalizing Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

New Jersey lawmakers will consider the possibility Monday of legalizing recreational marijuana use in the state.

The state Senate is holding a judiciary hearing on the hot-button issue, WCBS 880's Levon Putney reported.

Lawmakers are closely studying Colorado, Oregon and Washington, where pot use has been legalized.

Some of the big question marks center on tax dollars, business growth, security and whether banks would participate.

"We're going to have a model to measure from to see what's good, what's bad," Senate President Steve Sweeney said. "Is it the right decision? Is it not the right decision? But we'll have enough information to make an informed decision."

Sweeney, D-West Deptford, said it's a conversation that must be had despite Gov. Chris Christie still being in office.

"Look, this governor won't sign it. He's already said that," Sweeney said. "But we're hoping that if it's a good deal for New Jersey, the next one will."

Last week, state Sen. Nicholas Scutari, D-Union, proposed a bill to legalize the drug.

Senate Budget Committee Chairman Paul Sarlo, D-Wood-Ridge, said times and people have changed.

"Philosophically, I've been opposed to legalizing marijuana over the years," he said.

But "I'm willing to look at the dollars that potentially the state could get out of it. Many of those dollars, unfortunately right now, are being funneled through a black market, and that's not good, either."

15937.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Senate Hearing To Focus On Possibility Of Legalizing Marijuana
Author: Web Staff
Photo Credit: Buck Ennis

Look, folks, the real situation is this: As dealing with ISIS has proven, there is no discussion possible with ideologues. Rationality flies right out the window when dealing with those ideologically driven. Their mind are made up, they are right, you are wrong, and that is that. This truth was driven home with me the other day when I sat for lunch with a young man who says that he is a pentacostal. I might as well have been eating with an ISIS member. This young man did not know shit from shinola, but what he DID know is that his opinions were the RIGHT ONES inspired by GOD or his warped vision of god, and since you (me) disagreed with him, my opinions were by necessity DEVIL inspired. It is impossible to reason with an ideologue, or to offer facts to change their opinions on ANYTHING. This division into ideological camps is the biggest threat to social, economic, and legal progress in the world today, including the USA. Chris Christy is just such an ideologue, convinced of the rightness of his position that there is no possibility of discussing anything with them. The sooner New Jerseyites realize this, the sooner they can get back to making progress in social justice. The problem is, the ideologues realize the power of voting, while the rest of us think that through social evolution the society in general will just evolve to realize our visions of it. It is our refusal or disinterest in participating that the ideologues make great hay of. We have to be involved and participate if we sincerely are to have hope that our society will continue to change and evolve and show a more honest and compassionate vision of what we wish for it to evolve into. I can guarantee you that the ideologues will continue to make their voices heard, and if we don't , we can expect no change. Get out there, be involved, be engaged, and counter the ideologues version of Amerika. If you don't, they will continue to be successful. The one thing the politicians understand, it is that their office will be endangered by their refusal to follow the dictates of we the people. Vote em out. Get engaged, get involved, and counter the ideologues with informed, intelligent, compassionate decisions, and that starts by participation. Word and peace out. Dr.Rootswell.

Well put Doc. The disappointment of Ohio recently failing to legalize was felt well beyond your state's borders.

We didn't lose anything. This was not a defeat of the idea, it was a resounding defeat of a bunch of well financed pirates and hijackers. These hijackers have not supported us, or our vision of america, quite the contrary, and they wanted to board our ship and steal it for themselves. That is what was defeated. It will go on. I think mission accomplished, the discourse is going now. The illumination of people's real positions, not their veneered fake positions.

We didn't lose anything. This was not a defeat of the idea, it was a resounding defeat of a bunch of well financed pirates and hijackers. These hijackers have not supported us, or our vision of america, quite the contrary, and they wanted to board our ship and steal it for themselves. That is what was defeated. It will go on. I think mission accomplished, the discourse is going now. The illumination of people's real positions, not their veneered fake positions.

:bravo:
Well put brother, Cannabis should never be monopolized and kept by any one person or entity, EVER! I'm not super religious but I do have my own personal beliefs that I'll never pawn off on others but I do in my own heart believe that Cannabis was put on this earth for humans consumption and that humans and Cannabis have a kindred connection to one another and now science is proving that more and more everyday...Have any of you ever watched a 3 part series called "Marijuana, Miracle Cure" parts 1-3? If you haven't, you really should, it's very eye opening because they go on the explain how they are proving that the entire human nervous system is hard wired with Cannabinoid receptors and that by ingesting Cannabis the Cannabinoids in it realigns your bodies natural neurological system, meaning that Cannabis is actually good for us and we need it. All that being said and not to get too far off track here, who the hell is any one person to decide who gets control of a natural plant that God put here on earth for all humans to enjoy and use to heal us the way they see fit?

It's like saying that my idea of God is the only idea of God and my religion is the only religion and anyone who doesn't believe the way I do is going straight to hell...Oh wait, people have been trying that shit for thousands of years now and millions, if not billions of people have died as a result so we know that way doesn't work, right?

Y'all did the right thing Ohio and y'all are certainly doing the right thing as well New Jersey, y'all keep up the good work, the rest of us are rooting for ya for sure! Maybe here in the bible belt, we can eventually follow your examples? I've been saying it for years and it looks to be coming true that here in the bible belt will be the hardest nuts to crack and so far it's been all out west and now it seems to be heading to the mid west and north east and nothing significant is happening down here in the south east, so I guess I was right all along? Bible thumpers are certainly some stubborn fucking people but hopefully the realist of this world will win the day eventually?

Back
Top Bottom