New to growing, new grow room setup - looking for advice / opinions

Quidado

420 Member
Hi, I'm new to this form, and new to growing. I'd like to just give a run down of my planned setup, and if possible, get some opinions and advice.

My grow room: 6ft long, 4ft wide 9ft tall closet. Mylar lining the walls and floor.

Intake: 4 inch by 10 inch closeable vent(to keep light in) on bottom of door (maybe I should have a bigger intake?)

Exhaust: There's actually an attic entrance at the top corner of the closet, so I plan to vent into the attic, using a 3 fan window fan pointing into the attic, and sealing off the rest of the attic entrance.

Lighting: 600 Watt HPS and HM lights, with dimmable Ballast with large wing set. For now I'll be using the same Ballast for Vegg and Flowering, just swapping the bulbs. I suspect that 600 Watts may not be enough for that size of a room, so until I can afford another lamp, I'm thinking of sectioning off part of the room.

Pots/Plants: 4 plants, in 5 gallon pots.

Cooling/Circulation: This is where I'm concerned. For now, I just plan to point 2 fans at the bulb, pointing up from an angle so the air will go across the bulb, towards the exhaust fan and out. I'll have another fan on the floor circulating the air. I suspect that may not be enough. If needed, the room that the intake will be taking air from, could be air conditioned. I do plan on getting a cool tube for my light eventually, but I'm running over budget and I'd like to see if I can do it without one for now.

So that's my setup, I know I still have a lot of research and learning to do, but do you think I can pull off a successful grow with what I have so far? Any advice and suggestions will be appreciated.

If you need any more info on the setup, let me know. I'm sure I left something out.

I'd also like to know if you think there is any reason for me to SCrOG in such a room?

Future Plans:

Eventually I'd like to add a second 600 Watt HPS and Cool them with cooling tubes.
I'd also like to add some CFL light along the lower part of each wall.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. I'm sure the setup isn't ideal, but I'd like to know if I'm at least on the right path, and get some direction on what I might be doing wrong.

It sounds like it'll be fun. That is a good amount of space to play with. With summer approaching I think heat may become an issue. Have you thought of getting an air cooled hood and reflector for your lamp? If you could exhaust the air cooled hood into the attic your temperature should not be an issue. 600 Watts is a little small for 6x4 but you can totally make that work. I'm using 600W in a 4X4 pretty well so it may work out well for you too. I am using an air cooled hood so I can get the light pretty close to the tops. You could totally do a SCROG in there you would just need to top and LST your plants into shape. Check out my grow with a 600W HPS and SCROG in a 4x4 tent.
Ask away if you have any more questions...

Back
Top Bottom