new to hydro

pugmug420

I got a hydro system and have 10 seedlings ready to plant. I plan to put 8 into soil and 2 into the hydro. here are my questions: 1) is it okay to grow the hydro and soil in the same room? 2) My hydor has a 4 gallon reservoir and a 2 gallon growing chamber, will 2 plants be able to grow okay in this size container (the grow store had a 3-4 plant/tree growing in the same system)?
3) Will the clay balls crush my seedling and do i keep the pump running 24/7 until the roots get long?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me :grinjoint:

I have grown both soil and hydro at the same time. No problems. Just got to keep everything clean and maybe run some beneficials bacteria and fungus in the soil. I use root organics organismXL. The beneficials feed on anything bad like gnats and pest.

What type of hydro are you running? DWC, aero misters, waterfarm drip bubbler?

If its a bubble setup leave the pump running 24/7 until the roots hit the water.
Aeroponics run pump- 1 on 4 off for a timer
Waterfarm drip bubbler (air pump only) - run 24/7 even with roots in water.

thank you so much for the info. I am going to be running a waterfarm and I will check out the beneficials. Will be planting tonight...thanks again

The waterfarm, drill out some more holes 1/4" or so in the bottom of the pot. Take a quick look at net pots online for buckets and how open they are, more to contain the medium ie rocks then to hold water. Keep the air pump running 24/7 for the entire life of the plant.
For the seedlings if it is not in rockwool or a peat pellet, then get a 1 1/2" rockwool cube and cut it in half surrounding the seedling. The rocks will tear that seedling up and if it snaps it, it is dead. The seedling is delicate and those rocks will tear it up so it needs some protection until it settles in.

so it is okay to put the seedling with the peat pellet into the hydro system? I don't have to wash all the peat matter off the roots? I was kind of nervous to wash the peat matter away from the roots before putting it into the hydro.

The little amount of peat won't hurt anything, and it will wash away over time.

If you feel comfortable washing away the peat go for it. Sounds like the seedling has a decent amount of roots. If that is the case be careful placing the grow rocks around the roots.

No i didnt really feel to comfortable washing away the peat so it is good to know that the peat wont hurt anything. Thanks again, i feel much more confident now...

Didn't see what plants your going with but maybe 2 two a waterfarm. Check into the growth habits of the strain. If you don't know go with two and be ready to trim or train as it grows.

Back
Top Bottom