Newbie - Cannabis & College?

CaitlinEli

Hello! I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to ask this question...
If I want to have a career in the legal cannabis industry what should I do for my degree?

I don't have the resources available to grow myself, or learn hands-on from someone who grows (don't live in a legal state). So my plan is to learn everything I can about growing on my own time through internet/books, while pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture with Emphasis in Environmental Horticulture (basic chemistry, biology, genetic improvement of plants and animals, agriculture and the environment, general/economic entomology, plant disease management, soils labs., plant science labs., plant and growth development, basic organic and biochemistry, fundamentals of horticulture, greenhouse management, weeds and weed control, along with other classes)
This degree won't be cannabis specific but it will still be useful to growing?
I know I don't technically need any degree in order to grow, but wouldn't it be easier for me to find a job working in a greenhouse if I had this degree as a background?
Also any book recommendations?

:thanks:

Hey Engineering student from southern Ontario here. Honestly man, if this is your planned career trajectory, get something in commerce or actuarial sciences. IMHO What the industry now is looking for is people who are university educated that fully dedicate their time to making the emerging cannabis industry viable on every level. I think you'll learn enough from even a small CFL single plant grow at this point comparable even to a second year biology or horticulture course (I'm talking about a theory based course).
A business related degree will prime you for making your mark on the industry. You can take a course but you'll probably find a major overkill.
To really study cannabis and possibly do research you'd need some kind of postgrad.

Back
Top Bottom