Nute Burn or Deficiency...

going out of town today...be back sunday evening.

Is it possible to have this thread moved to the journals forum? I think that's what this will turn into. Maybe change the name to "gmskunk: hydro1 (Widow + Northern Lights)"...

oh and when I return, I'll be heading to the hydro store to check out some cal-mag as I'm using R/O water and have seen good things in other journals using R/O.

Yes def need to supplement Cal-Mag when running RO water. Until you get some add 1/2 - 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon for mag def. Dont add too much or you will lock out Potassium :)

I generally just mist with straight RO 7.0 water. I dont bother adjusting it for misting. 5.6 on the leaves may be a tad acidic for the leaves but I am not positive.

4/3/09 -- PM check
RH=45 @ 75 F

WW1 (adjusted to pH 5.5 @ 30 ppm)
- changed the water out, cleaned the internals of the res. as much as possible.
- added a frozen 16oz water bottle and rechecked 2 hours later and temp was holding around 70 F.

NL1 (adjusted to pH 5.6 @ 390 ppm)
- changed the water out, cleaned the internals of the res. as much as possible.
- added a frozen 16oz water bottle and rechecked 2 hours later and temp was holding around 71 F.

Questions:
1. What pH should I use in the spray bottle for my plants?
I noticed some very very faint spots (like a slightly lighter shade green) on most of the leaves on the WW1. Could this be from the spray bottle which contains water (pH 5.6)? I've been hitting both plants about 2x / day and there are zero spots on the NL1

Yes def need to supplement Cal-Mag when running RO water. Until you get some add 1/2 - 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon for mag def. Dont add too much or you will lock out Potassium :)

what about dolomite? will that work? I stopped by my local nursery on the way home (looking for cal/mag) but Dolomite was all they had. I was iffy about using it, but @ 6$, I figured I'd just go ahead and buy it and then research it when I got home before using it. But now I'm not seeing much info on using it for hydro-grow.

if this is not a good idea, I'll run out and grab some epsom salt to carry me over until I can get an order shipped of the real deal cal/mag.

I generally just mist with straight RO 7.0 water. I dont bother adjusting it for misting. 5.6 on the leaves may be a tad acidic for the leaves but I am not positive.
ok, yeah I switched up to straight R/O water as I was worried that the spotting on the leaves may have been due to acidity.

After a bit of research on foilage sprayinng, I am considering the addition of DutchMaster Liquid Light + DM penetrator (1-2x/wk). I read some good stuff on those two products.

ok, found some reliable info (book: Marijuana Horticulture By Jorge Cervantes) giving me the go ahead on adding dolomite to the solution.

4/5/09 -- PM check
RH=45 @ 75 F

WW1 (adjusted to pH 5.75 @ 150 ppm)
- dumped res. and created a new 2.5gallon, 150ppm, 5.75pH solution.
- added 1 tsp dolomite (mixed thoroughly and strained excess)
- began LST (going to try the spiral technique I saw in your grow, McBudz :nicethread: btw)

NL1 (adjusted to pH 5.8 @ 450 ppm)
- added another gallon of water to the res. along with 1 tsp dolomite and and a slight amount of nutes bringing the ppms from 375 to 450.

Looks like I'll be ordering the cal-mag online as I'm unable to find a place carrying it locally. should be here next week along with my new camera. also, didn't realize how expensive DM liquid light was. might save that for the next grow when I'm more comfortable with the basics.

I'm planning on moving forward with the flowering stage as soon as I can get the WW1 back to full strength...hopefully in 2 weeks.

that's all for tonight...dinner time :rollit:

4/6/09 -- AM check
RH=40 @ 78 F

WW1 (adjusted to pH 5.65 @ 150 ppm)
- leaves still look bad...probably need more time to recover.
- on a good note, the pH was up and the ppm was down *hopefully* indicating that the plant is slurping up the nutes. It was previously being flushed for ~4 days so surely it is starving. Nutes were just recently re-introduced last night.

NL1 (adjusted to pH 5.8 @ 450 ppm)
- plant looks good - becoming a very bushy plant.
- noticed a bit of curling around the edges of the leaves. res water was warm again, but that was to be somewhat expected since I was out of town the past 2 days (unavoidable). also raised the lights slightly...I didn't think it was too warn as the CFLs were about 2" from the tops, but now there's more like 4-6 inches.

working on a larger reservoir made out of a cooler to help with pH fluctuation and res. temps. Will make a decision on whether to implement it during this grow. Still at the very beginning stages of design.

Questions:
1. I've seen a few journals where the water is turned off during lights out. Does that sound like a good idea considering my setup?
2. How often should I be spraying the foliage (plain R/O water)? I read somewhere were someone was recommending only just before lights out.

Pics - 04062009 (just over 1 month since seeds popped)

Pic1 - WW1
Its hard to tell, but 2/3rds of the leaves have brown spots (most likely from deficiencies as a result of a 4 day flush).
ww1_closeup_04062009.jpg

Pic2 - WW1 (top)
wwl1_top_04062009.JPG

Pic3 - NL1
nl1_closeup_04062009.jpg

Pic4 - NL1 (top)
nl1_top1_04062009.JPG

Pic5 - Active Intake
Might need to consider adding a humidifier. I just switched the active intake from the a hole in the floor (closet of bedroom below) to an AC vent. This is making it hard to keep RH over 40. Will continue to monitor for the next few days and purchase if when necessary.
active_intake.JPG

Question:
Just read somewhere that "week 1" technically starts when the roots show through the rockwool or other propagation medium. True or False? If that's the case, then my babies are on week 4 as of today.

4/6/09 -- PM check
RH=40 @ 74 F

WW1 (adjusted to pH 5.6 @ 150 ppm)
- removed some of the leaves that looked bad so that the smaller greener leaves could get more light.

NL1 (adjusted to pH 5.7 @ 450 ppm)
- thick...going to need some stretching if I'm ever going to have a chance at LST. my height is limited so I'll most likely be topping her if LST becomes too problematic.

Back
Top Bottom