Nutrients: What's in them and how they work and effect ph!

ledtester

Let's have a look at how the different elements that make up your nutrients affect your pH. We mentioned this
earlier at the beginning of this report. Your nutrient solution is made up of macro, micro and secondary nutrients.
Macro means large and micro means little. Macro nutrients are those elements like nitrogen, phosphorus and
potassium that your plants use a lot of.
Micro nutrients, on the other hand, are nutrients that are only needed in very small quantities like iron, manganese,
boron, copper, cobalt, molybdenum and zinc.
Secondary nutrients are calcium, magnesium and sulfur and are used in smaller amounts than macro nutrients.
All of these elements, macro, micro as well as secondary nutrients carry either a positive charge (cations) or a
negative charge (anions) and will effect the pH of your growing medium as your plants use them up.
In fact, most macro, micro and secondary elements can be manufactured
to carry more cations or anions if a manufacturer is willing to go the extra
mile and spend the additional money required to have them custom made.

Cations include potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc, copper, cobalt, manganese, iron and ammonium. Anions
include nitrates, phosphates, sulfates, carbonates, bicarbonates. And different forms of these elements carry different
amounts of anions and cations.
How It All Comes Together
Your plants roots take in both anions and cations but when they do,
different things occur. Like when the roots take in cations, they give off
a hydrogen ions-which are acidic-and is then released into your growing
medium. This makes your growing medium acidic and the pH is lowered.
Now, when anions are taken in by your roots, hydroxide ions are
released which are alkaline and that raises the pH of your growing medium.
But as it goes, cations and anions actually work together.
The whole trick is to balance the cations and the anions; then you can
maintain the ideal pH in your growing medium. This does take a lot of work
and research, but it can be done.
Why is this important? I'll let you in on the secret. When you use the
cations in an ammonium based nitrogen source, it gives off acid molecules
and that helps to maintain the ideal pH around the roots and in your growing
medium.
But when you use a mainly nitrate base nutrient, you are working with
anions which gives off alkaline molecules and that raises the pH. This means
you'll need to continually adjust your pH down.
Why do the extra work when you can just maintain the right balance of ammonium and nitrates, cations to anions,
right from the start.
And I don't know for sure, but because of this imbalance of anions to cations you may have a high pH in your
growing medium. And the worst part is, you aren't even aware that this harvest robbing culprit is lurking in your growing
medium.
Also, if you use a recirculating system you'll be continually adjusting your reservoir's pH in an unending cycle of pH
balancing. And this directly affects the bigger yields that you could be getting.

newbie here and just getting to grips with all ph ec and nutes etc, so when it comes to planting time i know what im doing and why etc, and what i know is this is so important, so if i can get to grips with this it will give me the best chance for quality buds, so just soaking all this up and understanding what my plant needs, so thank you as this as helped understand this so much more

newbie here and just getting to grips with all ph ec and nutes etc, so when it comes to planting time i know what im doing and why etc, and what i know is this is so important, so if i can get to grips with this it will give me the best chance for quality buds, so just soaking all this up and understanding what my plant needs, so thank you as this as helped understand this so much more
Still 2010

Stay safe :rofl:
Bill

Back
Top Bottom