Officials critique anti-drug commercials

Roachclip

COSHOCTON -- Many local authorities think anti-drug television commercials have little lasting impact.

"For the most part, I tune them out because I see so many of them," said Laura Grogro, school counselor with Ridgewood Local School District.

Coshocton Municipal Court Judge David Hostetler agreed. He thinks that seeing commercials the first time has the biggest impact. Repeated viewings, Hostetler said, make the message a clichÈ and begins to undermine its own effectiveness.

"It almost becomes a joke then," he said.

One example of an overused image Hostetler mentioned was the commercial that equates an egg frying in a pan with one's brain on drugs.

"What might get one person's attention might not get the next person's," the judge said.

Jeanette Hall, a counselor with Coshocton Behavioral Health Choices, had mixed opinions on the commercials. She specializes in addiction counseling for youths who are ages 16 to 18.

Hall said that ones targeted toward parents are "very effective" because those commercials make parents aware of the need to address drug-related issues with their children. However, she thinks commercials will not stop kids from experimenting with drugs.

"I don't think it will stop them. It may make them aware that there could be problems," Hall said.

She was glad to see TV channels and programs targeted toward youths, such as MTV, were airing anti-drug messages. Hall thinks those commercials are more effective with younger teens.

Preaching, on the other hand, about drug abuse is not effective, Hall said.

Hall has heard her teenage clients talk about one particularly powerful commercial. In it, a boy stands near the grave of his brother and talks about the effects of marijuana usage.

"Those subtle messages get across now to the teenagers. They are the ones that my teens have been talking about. It makes them (ask) questions," Hall said.

Instead of depending on mass media, Grogro said she and her husband spend time talking to her two sons, ages 19 and 22, about drug and alcohol abuse. Grogro, who neither drinks nor smokes, thinks being a role model is equally important.

"We might go to a family's house where there was drinking, but we wouldn't drink," she said.

Hostetler said there is nothing more effective -- or as powerful -- than having a person take the time to "talk straight" to kids about drug use. He said children should know that "a half hour's worth of fun" could prevent them from attending college or getting a particular job.

Coshocton Tribune
By CARY ASHBY
cashby@nncogannett.com
August 2, 2004
©2004 Coshocton Tribune. All rights reserved.
https://www.coshoctontribune.com/news/stories/20040802/localnews/963609.html

Back
Top Bottom