On Migraine Headaches by Anonymous

Julie Gardener

On Migraine Headaches by Anonymous​

Since the time I was 14 I have suffered from severe migraines. The nausea and pain were so severe that I suffered from projectile vomiting, as well as the typical auras, sensitivity to light, smells, etc. The pain was so intense that I would wonder if it could possibly end. I tried a lot of medications on the market, and none of them provided adequate relief, or, if they did, the effectiveness did not last. Now, six years later, I have discovered the healing properties of marijuana firsthand. Marihuana can ease my pain and nausea in just a few hits off a pipe, as opposed to a pill that takes time to take effect. And migraine sufferers know that every second is a second of agony. I am a California resident, but my doctor has reservations about marijuana and so I am forced to live outside the law to relieve my pain. It's a sad state of affairs when the most effective medicine (for me) is so stigmatized and misrepresented. DARE to educate yourself and others.

Source: Comments and Observations

I've had migraines since I was an adolescent. I'm a 66 year old man, retired physician. Sumatriptin (Imitrex) worked beautifully but I had a serious complication. So I switched to Migranal but in my age group it is risky too, We live in Colorado and I've had my MM license for about 2 years. In the past I got 2-5 migraines/ month and ended up in the emergency room about twice a year. Since using cannabis (inhaled or oral) I have stopped early migraines in their tracks and now get those only rarely. Cannabis also prevents migraines. I use it at least once a week for prevention. When I travel out of state I would have to use Migranal and need to take two medications to protect my heart one hour before I use it. It makes no sense that this isn't recognized. The standard treatments can have serious side effects in anyone and marijuana is essentially benign if used appropriately. Check out an article on cannabis and headache in the journal "Pain" by Ethan Russo, M.D. A copy can be found online.

Back
Top Bottom