Oregon - Medical Pot Abounds In Bend

The General

Bend has one of the largest medical marijuana scenes in Oregon, two months after the state began issuing licenses for pot storefronts. There are eight licensed dispensaries in Bend, the third-highest number of any city in Oregon, according to state data. Only Portland and Salem have more dispensaries, and several other large cities have fewer, including Eugene, which has five. Some people question whether there are enough medical marijuana patients in Central Oregon to support the large number of pot retailers. Tristan Reisfar, clinic manager for Mothers Against Misuse and Abuse, said many patients grow their own pot and do not purchase medicine from dispensaries. Mothers Against Misuse and Abuse educates people about the medical marijuana program and provides consulting physicians to help people qualify for the program.

Reisfar is also a member of a citizen advisory committee for the Bend Police Department. "Just from my humble opinion, there's not that many patients needing to purchase cannabis out there to keep these places busy," Reisfar said in an interview earlier this month. "It's still cheaper to buy cannabis on the black market in this town than from a dispensary." Rob Bovett, legal counsel for the Association of Oregon Counties, said it will be interesting to watch how the Bend dispensary scene develops under the new regulations.

"I find Bend to be kind of a fascinating little experiment going on, just to see how this all rolls out," Bovett said. "It's just an interesting little transition, because I haven't seen any other place in Oregon that's super saturated with dispensaries like (Bend is)." The Bulletin's analysis of state data reveals Josephine County has the highest percentage of medical marijuana patients out of its total population. The percentage of Deschutes County residents with medical marijuana cards – 1.9 percent – is the eighth highest in the state, after Jackson, Curry, Coos, Lincoln, Douglas and Tillamook counties. Only 21 cities have licensed dispensaries.

The number of dispensaries in Bend continues to shift on a weekly basis, as some stores closed because they did not meet new state regulations, such as a prohibition on more than one dispensary within a 1,000-foot radius. The large number of dispensaries in Bend also has not deterred more people from getting into the business. The Good Leaf dispensary has a provisional license and plans to qualify for a regular license and open Monday, according to Kevin Fehrs, whose wife is in charge of the dispensary.

As the medical marijuana landscape shifts, so too does law enforcement's role in its regulation. The Bend Police Department was not searching for violations of the new state dispensary regulations, but police were drawn into an enforcement role when dispensary operators began to complain that other stores were violating state medical marijuana law. Bend Police Capt. Ken Stenkamp said recently that the department investigates criminal activities, which in Oregon does not include medical pot operations as long as they comply with state law. "We don't go out and close businesses," Stenkamp said. "It's such a gray area. We're just trying to feel our way through this."

Law enforcement has intervened at least once when they believed a medical marijuana facility was operating outside of state law. In August 2013, the Central Oregon Drug Enforcement task force arrested the owner of the only medical marijuana dispensary in Crook County on suspicion of selling pot to people who were not medical marijuana patients. Bend Lt. Paul Kansky is a member of the Central Oregon Drug Enforcement multi-agency task force. Kansky said Friday the task force might not be the appropriate agency to investigate a report that a dispensary is violating administrative rules, but the team would likely investigate any report of drug trafficking by a dispensary.

The Oregon Health Authority oversees medical pot providers and is preparing to begin enforcement. Karynn Fish, an agency spokeswoman, said the three inspectors for the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program will begin inspecting all the licensed dispensaries in a couple of weeks, something they are required to do within the first six months after the new state regulations took effect. Fish said the health authority issued provisional licenses to many dispensaries to provide time for them to install expensive security systems. "Because it's expensive to build out a security system, the Oregon Health Authority allows people to apply and meet all the other requirements except the security system. They have 60 days to get that." In the meantime, dispensaries must close. "It is not a license to operate," Fish said.

Fish said the health authority received only a handful of complaints that dispensaries continued to operate after they were denied licenses. The agency investigated these complaints and when dispensaries appeared to be out of compliance, the agency informed the owners. In Bend, the Police Department sent a letter to the Cannacopia Collective, informing the dispensary that the department received a complaint that Cannacopia continued to operate after the state denied its application for a dispensary license. The state had already issued a provisional license to The Herb Center dispensary across the street, and state law prohibits more than one dispensary within a 1,000-foot radius.

Keith Doyle, managing director of Cannacopia, said in an interview on May 6 his dispensary already met all the security requirements under the new dispensary law, and it seemed unfair for the state to issue provisional licenses to inadequately equipped dispensaries. Cannacopia closed and Doyle is appealing the state's decision to deny him a license. Doyle posted a note on the door of Cannacopia, criticizing the state for forcing his dispensary to close while others managed to remain open while applying for licenses. He called upon Cannacopia customers to boycott a dispensary in Bend that Doyle believes complained about Cannacopia.

Michael Hughes, a lawyer who represents Cannacopia and other marijuana businesses around the state, said the dispensary believed it could continue to operate throughout the license application process. "They were operating under the same assumption that everybody else was after March 1," Hughes said Friday. Stenkamp, with the Bend Police Department, said the market will probably resolve any overabundance of marijuana stores. "Let's see what's still here in a year," Stenkamp said.

Trimming_Medicine_Man_Dispensary.png

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Bendbulletin.com
Author: Hillary Borrud
Contact: Contact Us | Bend & Central Oregon News, Weather, Sports | BendBulletin.com
Website: Medical pot abounds in Bend; Some question whether cannabis stores exceed demand

Tristan Reisfar, clinic manager for Mothers Against Misuse and Abuse, said many patients grow their own pot and do not purchase medicine from dispensaries. Mothers Against Misuse and Abuse educates people about the medical marijuana program and provides consulting physicians to help people qualify for the program.

Reisfar is also a member of a citizen advisory committee for the Bend Police Department. “Just from my humble opinion, there’s not that many patients needing to purchase cannabis out there to keep these places busy,” Reisfar said in an interview earlier this month.

It's only an assumption that personal growers will be able to adequately supply their medicinal needs; they will undoubtedly need to depend on the dispensaries at certain times of the growing cycle or if they have a failed crop.

And as far as I can determine, it is much better for patients to have as many options as possible when it comes to dispensaries, considering the quality and consistency of medical marijuana varies so widely.

(What patient would go to a card service with the name "Mothers Against Misuse and Abuse"? Certainly not me...)

I don't know how many card holders in Oregon has run into a rental issue about growing their own medicine but I truly did not know that their was special paperwork for growing and renting. I have a very clean setup and have setup at my residence for two years now. My duplex has gone up for sale. The rental agency that I have had for the last two years when I told them they did not know how to handle the situation. They had me release my medical information to them. I did not feel that it was right for me to have to do so, because of the Hippa law. When I originally signed my lease agreement nothing was in the paperwork about OMMP growing or smoking. I truly did not think that I was doing anything wrong.

I did some research after falling apart and having my anxiety attacks out of fear and I found this. Why rental agency's or places that help you get your card do not have this information is beyond me. I am terrified of being homeless.

When the so called new regulations came into affect the prices of cannabis has skyrocketed and it is cheaper for me to grow then go to the dispensaries. I am on a very fixed income and cannabis saved my life after the doctors almost killed me with traditional medicine.

The rental agency has no right to your medical information, and they know it. But since personal medical information is spread around different government agencies, insurance companies, pharmacies, etc., I can't see how it would hurt. Maybe you should have had the rental agency sign some kind of HIPAA-compliant document? That way they could get in trouble if they gave your information out to anyone else -- which, let's face it, they probably have or will.

Thanks so much for posting this info! As a renter, it is very helpful -- I, too, don't want to get evicted.

The other thing I would warn MMJ patients about are laws about smoking in apartments, which some states have or are implementing.

having toked for almost 50 yrs, ebry day, Id say having a dispensary or two around, in bend is a great help for those in need w/o the weed. I am working my way thru the great eight, seems all so far have something novel to offer. so far the herb shop has the lead, most herb and lowest prices although all are pretty close in price. bloom is up there too, more than friendly, very mkt savvy. great, now to LEGALIZE IT. skyhigh robert

With the new so called testing that has taken place and ALL the local dispensaries jacking up prices, going to into one now, is like being charged to go see a doctor. People on a very fixed income can't afford to get what they need. With the state wanting to raise prices for the dispensaries or I should say have raised the prices on all their red tape it has totally trickled down to the consumer and the commodity has not changed, just the price. MMJ can't even be used as a medical deduction on Federal programs. The consumer is messed over with high prices and noway to deduct it as a medical expense. It needs to become legal at the Federal level and the money needs to go right back into health care and not the pockets of our so called politicians. Diamond Tree is the most reasonable priced dispensary in Central Oregon at least they have managed to keep a few 5.00 gam choices for people that have very little money and you do not have to purchase a minimum of 3 grams at a time. But everyone has their favorite spot :) I agree it needs to be legal on a Federal level for everyone to benefit. It is nice to know that Central Oregon is on 420 they are a wonderful community !!!!

My Son lives in Oregon and we chatted a couple of days ago about a dispensary that just opened not to long ago and is pretty near where he lives. When he said it runs around 250-400 $ for his rec's I was blown away. It is that expensive? That is a huge difference from the 55.00 I spend (that comes with a grow permit also for 72 plants) annually. The grow thing is a perk for making meds.

My Son also mentioned that look for growers get togethers. Make a grower your caretaker and they will give you an ounce or two per month for free. Any confirmation from Oregonians?

When on a fixed income you have to get the most for least dollars. Unless you can grow outdoors growing indoors can be expensive. Sometimes when you find the right source it is cheaper to buy than to grow. Especially if the grower grows the way your MJ needs to be.

"Sometimes when you find the right source it is cheaper to buy than to grow."

How do patients find these sources? Seriously, I would really like to know. Is Cali the hub of collectives and co-ops?

It is cheaper in many ways. When people say grow your own for quality control its true; but I know a lot of folks who failed their 1st grow and end up with nada and sell their equipment. Growing indoors is expensive. Running 4 laps and air conditioning with fans and all the other things needed adds on 740.00 a month to the electric bill. If your harvest is small you lose money.

So. Cal IMHO is definitely a mecca for collectives and co-ops. Excellent quality with a lot of experienced growers. Where I live once a month growers get together and you can meet them. Once they know your on the medical side of MJ (well versed in the concentrates help) they bend over backwards to get you what you need at a great price. If I had one place to pick to move for my medical condition it would be in So. Cal. Why? Biggest indoor grow market in the world. Check out how many dispensaries compared to Colorado. Right around 3-1. It would be this way even if the laws were reversed (no dispensaries of course). I found my sources when buying grow equipment from an Hydroponics shop. Hooking up with delivery services, teach them the concentrate for ill patients (most refer me) and in return get the hard to find strains from elite growers. Everyone knows somebody ill. Very few are well versed in the concentrates for serious illnesses. They go out of their way to get me the best organic strains around. You would fit in because of your knowledge on pain management. Cali has always been known for the best herb in the states as far back as I can remember. Of course their are good growers all over. Just saying Cali has been leading the way for years. Why I am so disappointed being the 1st state to legalize MMJ and we are not moving forward. I would like to form a collective with growers only growing for medical purpose and the hard to find strains. Thing is is time. I have little to none nowadays. The word is spreading in the community faster than what I anticipated, mostly cancer and it is the bad cases that are sent home. So its immediate attention needed. I wish their was more hours in the day :).

"Sometimes when you find the right source it is cheaper to buy than to grow."

How do patients find these sources? Seriously, I would really like to know. Is Cali the hub of collectives and co-ops?

Here in New Mexico, the answer to all complaints about the restrictive and expensive program is -- of course -- to grow your own. And yet, even patients who grow their own medicine still have to rely on the dispensaries, where quality and consistency are hard to find. My research and experiences are pointing me away from dispensaries, and towards small to medium-sized collectives as the best source for affordable treatment.

Since there are producers in different states who have opted to create mostly high-CBD products, I keep looking for sources that are creating products specifically designed for chronic pain patients. Do you think these kinds of places can be found through the internet? Of course, products for chronic pain patients would include extracts -- a part of the MMJ industry that appears to be booming. And yet, most chronic pain patients choose flower to medicate, which is where my experience (and preference) lies.

I think I've got a handle on how much THC strength is needed to treat chronic pain for the bud form of cannabis, but the extracts are going to be a lot more difficult to figure out. Trying to gauge the effects of cannabis by using milligram strength, as with other drugs, may not be that effective. And I think it is even harder to find quality and consistency in edibles, which makes rating the strength of these products almost impossible. (Right now, anyway.)

So, while your expertise is obviously needed, I don't really see a need for mine.

Personal growers have created a strong community, but it is rather exclusive. And to be honest, not too welcoming for patients who don't grow their own. I don't know how long it will take me to save the money to move, but California is definitely a possibility, along with Colorado and Oregon. But since all three states have cities that are banning dispensaries, I have to wonder which one would be the best choice in, say, a year from now.

I have lived in Southern California before, and I loved it (except for the earthquake), but the cost of living is so darn high...

Morning painkills2. Your correct, most people do smoke bud, not only for chronic pain, for most everything. Go into a dispensary and find someone knowledgeable peeps about concentrates. If they do know something about concentrates it wax, shattered glass or CO2 oil. It is geared for the recreational user. Lets face it, business's need money to keep the show going and they are going to cater to their customers and what they want. Also concentrates like cannabis concentrated oil, honey oil, hash oil, RSO is expensive, especially making a high CBD strain because the amount of extract that is pulled from an ounce (2 grams). In OC I've seen it go for close to 500.00 an oz. I agree that small to medium-sized collectives is a great source, especially one's geared around MMJ. I know one collective (invite only) you have to show medical doc's to prove your illness and of course your MMJ rec's. As they get to know you better the doors open more. Remember our discussion about smoking CBD? We both agreed on that topic.

The reason why states opt for mostly high CBD strains is because of their low THC and the success it has had on epilepsy. As it is right now in the industry CBD is the wheel carrying the MMJ laws. Dearest Capitol Hill; we understand your concerns about THC, how it can be a gateway drug, addicting, short term memory loss, makes you a non-productive person and your brain turns into scrambled eggs. However, CBD concentrated cannabis oil will not get you high and is safe to use on children and look what it is doing for children with epilepsy. We have 'smart' peeps also that are attorneys and we will take what we can to get while climbing the stairs to get MMJ removed as a class one drug.

The crackdown on edibles is coming soon to be sure. Their is no quality control. Peeps are loading up concentrates in the edibles now making them extremely dangerous especially when mixed with blood pressure/sleeping/pain prescribed meds. The capitol hill boys love this. Just another I told you so.

When I mentioned your expertise in pain management it wasn't just for that specific reason. It is what I picked up reading your post's. Attention to detail and your passionate attitude about pain management and keeping up with your state and local laws. Sharing your information to others that live in your state and sharing your 'awareness'. This passionate attitude regardless of what it is based on is what attracts others. Many talk the walk, few walk the walk if that makes since. And few know the true magic of the concentrate's and its healing powers. I cannot tell you how many people I know who have tried the concentrated oil, read wrong information, good stoned like no other and now is spreading the word the cannabis concentrated oil is BS and just a scam. This is why the wife and I learned so much about the concentrate's. Honestly, so many people have heard about it and its healing properties but cost and misinformation keeps it on the back burner. Its a band wagon out there Brother, pure and simple.

A year from now? I cannot tell you what the heck is going to happen. My brain already feels like a yo yo. One step forward, one step backwards, one day yay, one day nay. As mentioned before, it would be Cali, legal or not. The real reason why MMJ is a class one drug is not smoking, digesting, vaping, edibles, it is taking the concentrate correctly. Its the magic healer for preventive maintenance, wellness, and serious illnesses. The Pharmies know this and when they net over a trillion dollars a year in profit and keep corrupt officials pockets lines with special interest money to keep MMJ a class one drug, well, it works. Everyone who has had experience with MJ and is well versed know there is no way on earth MJ should be a class one drug. And more so with MMJ.

Your correct, living in So. Cal is expensive. I'm on a fixed income (the wife still works) but I've learned if there is a will there is a way and a workaround. Rent a room in a house, share expenses. The wife and I have cut our grocery bill in half just by planning big meals and keeping left overs. We will walk a mile if we can save gas while getting in some exercise. Meet friends you can share a grow with etc. We dropped a lot of our fav's we enjoyed doing for our meds. Our health became our priority and it has been one of the best choices we have made to date. How could we afford cannabis extract? Knowledge and making the concentrate for ill people. Our concentrate is what we can scrape out of the bottom of the SS cup. This is how we get our meds. Helping people heal themselves and providing the best oil we can make for their needs. This saves the wife and I 400.00 - 500.00 a month for our meds and in the process healing people with serious aliments. Could we make more? Much more, in fact some mind boggling numbers. Somethings in life are not about money and greed. We don't have to worry about eating our breakfast with thousands of other inmates. We feel blessed for what we do helping people. In fact the day we stopped worrying about money is the day our lives have changed for the better. Great things happen to good people and it is not about money. Just takes time. We still struggle keeping the tiles over our head, but, there are many many folks who do not have a roof over their head and are starving. We count our blessing and we pay it forward.

Hey, 420 Motoco, thanks for the response. It's so helpful to learn how other patients are making cannabis treatments work.

If I may, I'm just going to disagree about one thing: "If they do know something about concentrates it wax, shattered glass or CO2 oil. It is geared for the recreational user."

I'm not sure I would consider these products as only being desired by the recreational user. Although I've only tried wax a handful of times (and was not impressed), my understanding is that these stronger extracts are working for many chronic pain and PTSD patients here in New Mexico.

And I appreciate your positive comments about my posts, as sometimes it feels like I'm talking to myself. :) Your passion for the plant is obvious, and you and your wife sound like good people. In fact, when I'm reading about Cali, it's easy to find stories about patients trying to help each other.

Maybe I need clarification, the young euphoric crowd likes wax, shattered glass or CO2. I for one wouldn't consider taking a big rip off an oil vape in the morning, or lunch or dinner, lol. Another words we don't just smoke to get ripped we smoke for medicinal. You cannot use these products on the gums as they are cold extracts and only made to smoke. They actually decarboxylate when smoking so they don't work using the gum method.
Also when I mention concentrates it is not smoking. Really complete opposites. You read strain reviews from smokers, I look at them when using concentrated cannabis oil. I love smoking also but at the end of the day. I don't want to jack up my healthy feeling, lol. I leave a lot of post that go unanswered. You don't get many responses but it doesn't mean their is not a boat load of readers.

That is what happens in Cali compadre..patients helping patients.
Hey, 420 Motoco, thanks for the response. It's so helpful to learn how other patients are making cannabis treatments work.

If I may, I'm just going to disagree about one thing: "If they do know something about concentrates it wax, shattered glass or CO2 oil. It is geared for the recreational user."

I'm not sure I would consider these products as only being desired by the recreational user. Although I've only tried wax a handful of times (and was not impressed), my understanding is that these stronger extracts are working for many chronic pain and PTSD patients here in New Mexico.

And I appreciate your positive comments about my posts, as sometimes it feels like I'm talking to myself. :) Your passion for the plant is obvious, and you and your wife sound like good people. In fact, when I'm reading about Cali, it's easy to find stories about patients trying to help each other.

I was just wondering, how does high-CBD oil compare to aspirin as an anti-inflammatory? Obviously, you wouldn't get the side effect of stomach problems as you do with aspirin, but how else does it compare?

It is the BEST anti-inflammatory I ever used. Quick story:) Yesterday an lady artist came over with bone on bone knee pain (her labrador had mouth cancer). The wife and I was showing her how to cut the concentrate with grapeseed oil for her puppy. After we got the pup dosed we were talking and she asked if what we gave her dog would work on her knee pain (she was excited to see her dog happy). The wife gave her a sample with instructions on dosing. She was paranoid about getting high and driving home because it was starting to get dark. Long story short she tried it. This blend was OG Kush & Harlequin 70/30. What happened next is ridiculous. After 10 minutes the artist started to walk around to test her pain (I'm thinking it should of kicked in for her chronic pain in an hour). She started saying OMG is this for real? Seriously, I have no pain, OMG. The wife and I was astonished to see it work that quick and perhaps thought it was the Arkansas curse. Now to the inflammation part. When she said her pain went away she could hear her bones click together. Later before she left she commented 'Whoa, is this stuff for real?-My knee clicking stopped! We never seen anything work so fast for her chronic pain. When she got home she texted us and said 'Wow Wow Wow-I made it home with my Lab !!! I drove perfect !!! and I am in total amazement with my knee!!! I can also walk straight without my knee hurting. Her 108 lb Lab was able to eat because her pain subsided so she could chew. Poor puppy had its tail wagging why she ate. She kept coming up to the wife and I rubbing against us (slobbering all over us, the oil was pulling out toxins). The Lab knew we helped her and followed us around. Wow, lifting 108 lbs in the front seat of a SUV is tricky. Both went home a happy. The concentrated oil is amazing. It seems the worst the illness the better the concentrate works.

Brother, I been preaching the concentrate for some time now. It is not a fad for the wife and I. Its a lifestyle for us to feel healthy. I was hitting on you when you first joined :) I know how debilitating chronic pain is. The concentrated oil is a game changer for pretty much complete wellness. Why I'm still around ringing the 'cowbells'. No need for people suffering and being in misery. Perhaps the series "Marijuana-Miracle Cure" is truly and understatement.

I was just wondering, how does high-CBD oil compare to aspirin as an anti-inflammatory? Obviously, you wouldn't get the side effect of stomach problems as you do with aspirin, but how else does it compare?

Your welcome. Well, you hit the nail on the head. There is no way to grow, harvest, etc. MMJ than to make man made meds. Otherwise the pharmies would be doing it with the gov's consent. Sadly, people have to suffer in the meantime.

What a great story! Thanks for sharing. I guess all we need to do now is make cannabis as cheap as aspirin. :)

Back
Top Bottom