Overcrowding: Fresno Marijuana Dispensary Owner Out Early

The operator of a Fresno medical—marijuana dispensary has been released from Fresno County Jail because of overcrowding. Rick Morse served 8 hours of his 15—day sentence.

"Should I jump up and down and go yeah!"

Morse was arrested Friday morning after a judge ruled that he violated a court order not to sell marijuana.

"I'm not a rapist, I'm not a murderer, I'm not a child molester – that's why they kicked me lose today," Morse said. "I'm offended by the fact that I had to come here in the first place."

Law enforcement is also offended, but for a different reason. Morse is not supposed to be out of jail, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.

"It's very frustrating for the Judge, it's very frustrating for the officers – when ever we do arrest someone and they are ordered to serve a certain amount of time for them to be let out that same day – it sends a bad message in terms of the consequences or the lack of consequences."

Fresno County Superior Court Judge Donald Franson ordered Morse to serve two weeks in jail, after he admitted in court that he was still selling the drug out of his Medmar Clinic in Central Fresno.

"It's my understanding that the Judge was very specific when he had Mr. Morse arrested, stated that he was not subject to being bailed out and was not to be released from jail prior to the 15 days," Chief Dyer said.

Minutes after his release, Morse jumped into a cab and headed to his store in the Tower District. A court order prohibits Morse from going within 500 feet of the building but he went inside anyway.

Morse says smoking marijuana helps him deal with pain associated with Osteoporosis and he has no plans to stop self medicating or selling it to others.

"Well, since we got approval to operate in the city of Fresno and since Judge Simpson and Judge Franson's orders are illegal and unconstitutional, yes I'm going to resume operations," Morse said.

The City of Fresno is trying to get a court order to shut—down the marijuana dispensary for good. The matter is scheduled to be heard in court on Monday.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: KMPH Fox 26
Author: Norma Yuriar
Copyright: 2010 WorldNow and KMPH
Website: Overcrowding: Fresno Marijuana Dispensary Owner out Early

Back
Top Bottom