Palm Springs Grants 4th Medical Marijuana License

The General

California - High levels of service and a professional setting moved the City Council's favor in the direction of Palm Springs Safe Access, which was awarded Wednesday with a license to dispense medical cannabis in Palm Springs. The council's 5-0 vote granted the city's fourth permit to the outfit, which plans to begin construction soon on a dispensary on Gene Autry Trail near the Wet'n'Wild water park. Eight dispensaries applied. "It's been a long and rocky road to get here," said Cody Henderson, an official with Palm Springs Safe Access.

What stood out in the council's discussions Wednesday night was the high level of refinement most of the applicants showed. For example, Brown Dog Farm planned to donate 5 percent of its gross sales to local charities, with half of this amount going to the Palm Springs Animal Shelter. Palm Springs Safe Access, a supporter of Measure B, a tax placed on medical marijuana dispensaries, will also offer health and exercise classes. "We have, today, a tough choice, but it's a nice tough choice to have," said Councilman Rick Hutcheson. "Because we have some excellent applicants."

Even Councilman Chris Mills, who has been the no vote on medical cannabis votes in the past, praised the applicants. "The quality of the applications from that time to this time, unbelievably different," said Mills, recalling the past occasions the council has considered medical marijuana licensing. "Unbelievably better. "I was better impressed by that," added Mills, who in March was the no vote when the issue of a possible fourth dispensary license was discussed.

Councilman Paul Lewin seemed to echo the changing and more open attitudes around medical marijuana when he suggested the city consider issuing more licenses, a move supported by Robert Van Roo, owner of Palm Springs Safe Access. "Probably six is a good number to create economic competition and provide safe access," said Lewin.

Palm Springs Safe Access would be nearly across the street from the water park Wet'n'Wild. At the last council meeting, David Andrews Jr., general manager for Wet'n'Wild, spoke against the possibility of aa medical marijuana dispensary near the park. Wet'n'Wild did not enter Wednesday's discussion. Others applying for the fourth medical marijuana dispensary license included P.S. Organica, Oasis Wellness and Living Collective, Palm Springs Premier Care, Southern C's, Jade Organics and Palm Springs Natural Healing Center.

In other business, the council also approved a new 24-acre residential development planned for the corner of Farrell Drive and Baristo Road. The project, a walled and gated neighborhood planned by Family Development LLC, will include 114 multifamily units and 72 single-family units. Councilwoman Ginny Foat voted against the planned development district, opposing its walls and gates. "I'm really sad that this project, is for me, I believe, not what Palm Springs is," said Foat. "It's unfortunate, because for me, I've wanted to see this site get developed for a long time."

medical-marijuana21.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Desertsun.com
Author: Skip Descant

Back
Top Bottom