Parenting & Pot: Mommies Say It's OK

Truth Seeker

Here's what blazing up the latest mommy blogs, the secret pick me up for some Beverly Hills moms.

They say that marijuana is mommy's newest helper, and that it makes them better wives and parents.

It's all legal in California, with the marijuana purchased at dispensaries, and it's giving new meaning to the term pot luck party. ABC's Elizabeth Vargas talks with the moms.

On a recent evening at a home in Beverly Hills a few moms gathered to enjoy food, friendship and a few laughs, but this was no ordinary pot luck party.

Welcome to the Beverly Hills cannabis club - a place where "marijuana" moms congregate to take a break from the stress of family life.

Your hostess - the self-proclaimed "Martha Stewart of Marijuana" - Cheryl Shuman. "Cannabis not only made me a better mom. Cannabis made me a better human being."

Elizabeth Vargas / ABC News: "Cannabis made you a better mom?"

"Absolutely–"

So how did this all come to be? Flashback ten years - Cheryl was a married mother of two - and a successful optician to the stars. But after her marriage fell apart she says her entire life slipped out of focus.

"I was just-- completely-- disabled by a crippling depression."

"Cheryl needed an escape. She tried prescription drugs, but popping Prozac to get up and Xanax to come down every day, felt more like a prison than a panacea.

"So one day I was at my therapist's office and I told him, I said, please help me get my life back. And he said, "you need to smoke a joint." , So I took-- a hit off of it I was smiling and happy and I was like, "this is really great."

ABC News: "But critics might say, "yes, you were high."

"I was definitely medicated. But I will tell you that I felt better having two puffs of cannabis at that time than I had ever had any kind of results with pharmaceuticals."

Cheryl's daughter, Aimee, agrees — "I felt like my mom was checked out on prescription pills. It was like living with a zombie. When she would smoke she was smiling. She was connecting with us. It felt --like we had our mom back."

Medical marijuana is now legal in 18 states. But parenting and pot... still taboo.

ABC news: "You know, though, there are people out there thinking, "mothers who smoke pot are bad moms."

Simmi Dhillon, medical cannabis advocate, "I'm gonna tell it from the point of view of my 10-year-old child. When I'm in pain, I'm in bed for days. I don't talk. I'm miserable. My son will come up to me and say, "mom, it's time to medicate. If your 10-year-old child is okay with it, I think adults should be okay with it."

Cannabis_Leafs7.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: wjbf.com
Author: Dawn Wise
Contact: FCC Public File Contact - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken News, Weather, Sports
Website: Parenting & Pot: Mommies Say It's OK - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken News, Weather, Sports

Back
Top Bottom