pH/ppm meters

Hotdog

I've used the search function and done research on meters, but I'm still sort of stuck.

Is it better to get cheap meters that don't cost an arm and a leg to replace, or more expensive meters (like Bluelab) that have expensive replacement probes? Which meters are more reliable? Will the difference in accuracy between a cheap meter and an expensive one really make that much of a difference?

Welcome to the 420 club Hotdog. You have come to the right place for well educated answers. I'm kinda a newbie here as well. I know your post doesn't have anything to do with this, but when it comes to problems with the plants, Pics will help a lot. Just a heads up.
As far as your question, I really can't give you a definite answer. Right now I'm using a 25.00 TDS meter and a 10.00 ph tester. Seems to me they work just fine. Well Good Luck and keep posting, I'm interested to see what you produce.
This is my baby
8-10-2015_010.JPG

I love my Bluelab combo meter. I have owned many cheap ones along with a good Hana HI9813-6.

It cost $100 to replace a Hana probe and $50 for a Bluelab which last longer and a Bluelab PPM probe is factory set unlike the Hana.

I just wish the Bluelab was built like the Hana. But it is fast, accurate and turns itself off.

I have found all the cheap ones to be junk that did not last.

Having a good trusted meter makes growing DWC much easier.

I love my Bluelab combo meter. I have owned many cheap ones along with a good Hana HI9813-6.

It cost $100 to replace a Hana probe and $50 for a Bluelab which last longer and a Bluelab PPM probe is factory set unlike the Hana.

I just wish the Bluelab was built like the Hana. But it is fast, accurate and turns itself off.

I have found all the cheap ones to be junk that did not last.

Having a good trusted meter makes growing DWC much easier.

Which Bluelab meter do you have and how long have the probes that came with it lasted you?

I have been using a cheap $20 ph meter (Dr.Meter® 0.01pH PH001 High Accuracy Pocket Size pH Meter with ATC (Automatic Temperature Compensation) and it is so much easier than using the drops. I do not know how long this one will last but I cannot go back to the old way.

I used a yellow cheap pH meter for a couple of grows, then replaced it with a Bluelab meter. My main reason was TIME. It seemed to take forever for the yellow meter to settle in on a reading, but it did seem fairly accurate. The Bluelab is much quicker, has a two point calibration, and has a reminder on the screen when it needs to be recalibrated.

Good luck with your decision.

I have a cheapo from Amazon and calibrate it weekly with the high and low solutions. Works great!

Bluelab Combo Meter (pH, Conductivity, and Temperature) I have had it for six months and it works like new still.

I decided to bite the bullet and get the guardian.
With your meter, do you need to rinse it or clean it if you're going to test 2 things? Like testing your reservoir and your then nutes/water you'll add right after.

Back
Top Bottom