Plans for a flood and drain rubbermaid system

NoLogo

Hi Guys,

So I am planning to build a small flood and drain system. I plan on using a deep rubbermaid container, and a shallower rubbermaid that will sit on the top lip of the reservoir.

ebb_n_flow.jpg

I do need answers to a few questions, so if anybody who has used or built a flood and drain system can address these it would be appreciated.

My concerns are how do i seal the flood and drain fittings from leaking? I assume some sort of plumbers goo but do i need a rubber gasket/grommet as well?

Do I need to put an airstone in the reservoir?

How high do I set the overflow pipe? I am using 1 inch rockwool cubes in hydroton, I am concerned that they would become displaced and possible toppled over by the amount of water in the tray. Should the water reach the top of the rockwool or just half way?

With so much water in the reservoir it is possible that the container may warp slightly, and this could cause issues when flooding the top tray, as the bottom container may not be able to support the weight. I guess this would just be something that could be solved by a solid plastic.

Any comments or advice is appreciated.

I just built one last week. I found the Rubbermaid containers did warp too much. What I ended up doing was putting the tray on a plastic table like you would get at any store (the folding kind) and I put the reservoir under the table. Then you simply use 1/4 inch hose to fill and at least 3/4 inch to drain. You can get fitting kits here: Hydroponics, Indoor Gardening Supplies, Hydroponic Systems - home which is what I recommend. Make sure you a pump with adjustable output or a 1/4 inch ball valve in case your drain line isn't as fast as your fill. No one wants a mess. The valve will allow you to adjust the in flow rate. I built the system you described and then a 8 bucket drip line system. I am not sure what I like better yet. The buckets win for flexibility but they are all great! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom