Pot Activists Enlisting Mothers for Legalization Sales Pitch

Moms got tougher drunk-driving laws on the books and were anon amenable for casual and again repealing booze Prohibition. Now marijuana activists are aggravating to accept the nation's mothers in amends efforts with a sales angle that pot is safer than booze.

The nation's better marijuana amends antechamber afresh started a women's group. The Moms4Marijuana website draws thousands. And just in time for Mother's Day, a pot amends accumulation in Denver has created a pink-carnation web agenda allurement moms to abutment legalization.

These marijuana moms altercate that pot is no worse than alcohol, that adolescence shouldn't face bastille time for experimenting with it and that marijuana can even advice new mothers amusement postpartum depression.

"I apperceive so abounding mothers who abutment this but aren't accommodating to appear out and say it," said Sabrina Fendrick, arch of the Women's Alliance at the Washington-based Civic Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, or NORML.

Marijuana activists say they charge added moms to about aback pot use if they are to accomplish with accessible officials.

"The mother is the aboriginal teacher, who you about-face to for administration in life," said Serra Frank, a 27-year-old mother of two in Boise, Idaho, who founded Moms4Marijuana in 2005. It has no academic membership, but Frank says its website has had added than 12,000 visitors.

Pot activists say both genders sometimes acquisition it easier to appear protests or antechamber assembly about pot than to acquaint their mothers they smoke weed. So amends groups achievement that if moms, arguably the nation's a lot of able lobby, get on lath with authoritative pot legal, laws will change in a hurry.

"All the things moms get behind, humans listen," said Diane Irwin, 48, a medical marijuana agriculturalist in southern Colorado who aswell is a mother of two.

There's still a marijuana gender gap. According to an Associated Press-CNBC poll appear endure month, women against amends in greater numbers than men. Just beneath bisected – 48 percent – of macho poll respondents against amends to 63 percent of women.

"We accept abundant problems with alcohol. I feel if we legalized it, it would accomplish humans say it's OK," said 37-year-old mother Amanda Leonard of St. Augustine. Fla., one of the poll respondents

Trying to abate moms up a bit, Denver-based Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation, or SAFER, is allurement associates to "come out" about their pot use this Mother's Day and altercate that pot is safer than booze. The accumulation says it has about 20,000 associates nationwide.

SAFER's online Mother's Day agenda has a archetypal alpha – "Thank you for adopting me to be anxious and compassionate" – again transitions to: "I wish to allotment some account that ability abruptness you, but should not agitated you: I accept marijuana should be legal."

For $10, agenda senders can add a book for their moms blue-blooded "Marijuana is Safer." The book, appear endure year, argues that marijuana is convalescent than booze. SAFER says several thousand copies accept been sold, and accumulation associates handed out chargeless copies as Mother's Day ability to Colorado's 37 changeable assembly endure week.

There's no acceptable civic calculation of how abounding mothers use pot, but anecdotal affirmation suggests affluence do. Moms from Florida to Washington are adverse bent accuse for application marijuana or bartering it to their children.

In February, 51-year-old Alaska mom Jane C. Cain was arrested forth with her 29-year-old son for allegedly growing pot in the house. The Wasilla woman says she initially feared reprisals from neighbors and didn't acknowledgment the door.

"But it angry out humans were just advancing by to accompany bootleg food, buffet and cakes and such," Cain said with a laugh. Her case is still pending, but Cain says that even bourgeois neighbors say she's not amiss to use marijuana for her common migraines, admitting medical marijuana isn't acknowledged in Alaska.

"Now I go wherever I wish and authority my arch up high," Cain said. "Five or 10 years from now, humans who argue marijuana will be advised old-fashioned. It's a amiable substance, so why shouldn't we accept it?"

Irwin, the Colorado medical pot grower, said mothers who use marijuana face a stigma men don't. Irwin says she secretly acclimated marijuana while abundant to action morning affection and afterwards giving bearing to action postpartum depression. Since she started growing pot, Irwin said she's run into abounding moms who accept to application the drug. She argues that even accouchement could account from marijuana use, admitting Irwin never gave either of her kids pot nor smoked it in foreground of them.

In fact, she remembers bloom her son's pot down the toilet if he was a teen. But endure year, afterwards her now-grown son started a Denver marijuana dispensary, Irwin awash her hair salon, bought a greenhouse and started adopting pot for him.

"I attending at the kids now who are so medicated, on Ritalin and all the rest, and I'm apprehensive why we don't analyze what's natural, and that's marijuana," said Irwin, who is affective to Denver to plan full-time at her earlier son's dispensary.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: newsonflames.com
Copyright: 2010 newsonflames.com
Website: Pot Activists Enlisting Mothers for Legalization Sales Pitch

Dam I`d be happy to vote for the end of prohibition but these `legalization laws` are just bunk! Keep trying but,Hint,Hint don`t go inlisting apple pie and Mom on us! Not fair !:ganjamon:

This article is, quite frankly, written terribly. I'm not nagging the content; mothers are an important group in any social change. But it looks like somebody wrote an article that they thought didn't sound esoteric enough, so they started hitting the thesaurus button, making it downright unreadable.

"I apperceive so abounding mothers who abutment this but aren't accommodating to appear out and say it," said Sabrina Fendrick, arch of the Women's Alliance at the Washington-based Civic Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, or NORML.

lolwut? Who in their right mind would say that? "Abutment" is not even a verb! And, I don't think that "Civic" is the first word in the acronym "NORML."

Stoned indeed... :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom