Push For Hemp Gains Speed

420 Warrior

Citing its potential as a cash crop for Kentucky farmers, lawmakers filed a bill to make industrial hemp, the botanical cousin of marijuana, legal to harvest.

But federal law must change before the bill can be enacted — if it clears legislative hurdles.

Supported by Agriculture Commissioner James Comer and legislators from both parties, the bill would decriminalize industrial hemp and authorize the Department of Agriculture to hand out one-year licenses for hemp production.

"It sends a message that this is something we're serious about in Kentucky," Comer told reporters after a press conference Thursday announcing the bill. He noted that Kentucky has a long history with hemp.

"Once this passes Kentucky, then I'm going to go to Washington, D.C., with our federal delegation, and we're going to try to get a permit to be a pilot project state here in Kentucky."

He said the Department of Agriculture, the state's largest regulatory agency, is equipped to oversee a statewide industrial hemp program.

Under the proposal, filed by Rep. Richard Henderson, D-Jeffersonville, licensed farmers would receive a criminal background check and pay fees of $5 per acre — at least $150 — to cover administrative costs. Those convicted of felonies within 10 years of applying would be denied.

Local sheriffs would be responsible for monitoring hemp fields and randomly testing the crops for elevated levels of tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive chemical in marijuana.

Sen. Joey Pendleton, D-Hopkinsville, said hemp plants can be easily distinguished from marijuana plants and have almost no THC.

"I've had a good friend in Canada tell me when I first got interested in (industrial hemp) and about the THC, I said, 'Can they use it like marijuana?'" said Pendleton, who's filed an industrial hemp bill in the Senate.

"He said, 'Son, you could smoke a joint as long as a telephone pole and never know you'd smoked anything.'"

Perhaps the most pressing challenge for the bill will be overcoming the stigma associated with hemp and marijuana.

Comer said he believes legislators will buy into the bill as the session continues, especially with the projected economic impact in farming, manufacturing and other industries associated with hemp.

"We need to do something to generate economic activity in Kentucky, and this is a viable option," he said.

"It's not a drug. This grows well in our climate. We can manufacture this. It helps farmers to produce it and grow it, but we can have manufacturing facilities located in Kentucky and manufacture the hemp into various products and create jobs."

Legislators noted the many uses of manufactured hemp, including paper, plastics, building materials, rope, cosmetics and clothing. Pendleton said the state could see up to $500 million more in its coffers if hemp is grown and manufactured here.

Hemp oil could be explored as an alternative fuel source, said Rep. Keith Hall, D-Phelps. It could also be farmed on reclaimed mine sites, he said.

The bill would also revive the Kentucky Industrial Hemp Commission, created during Gov. Paul Patton's administration, and name the agriculture commissioner as chair of the committee.

Kentucky would be the second state permitted to raise hemp if the bill passes and the federal government eases restrictions on industrial hemp.

U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, a Texas Republican currently seeking the GOP presidential nomination, has filed a bill before Congress that would make hemp legal to farm.

In the General Assembly, legislators say they'll work to ensure the bill gets passed.

"If we can get it passed in the Senate, the chairman of the ag committee in the House (Rep. Tom McKee, D-Cynthiana) said he will hear it," Pendleton said.

"... Before I left the chamber today, I had five (senators) come up to me and tell me that we're probably going to get on that hemp bill."

Rep. Richard Henderson, D-Jeffersonville, talks about the positive economical impact industrial hemp could have in Kentucky during a press conference in the Capitol Rotunda Thursday. At left is Agriculture Commissioner James Comer, who supports Henderson's legislation. (AP Photo/John Flavell)
d8515a0f929fe750062ec4d74f3d0c2e5329ea60_IndustrialHemp_1_.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The State Journal
Author: Kevin Wheatley
Copyright: Frankfort Publishing Co., LLC 1995-2011

Back
Top Bottom