ResponsibleOhio Revises Proposal To allow 'Home Grown' Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

ResponsibleOhio announced Tuesday that its proposal to legalize marijuana for medical and personal use is being revised to allow adults 21 and older to obtain a license to grow marijuana at home.

Additionally, marijuana purchased at licensed retail stores will now be taxed at a rate of 5 percent.

"After extensive conversations with experts and concerned citizens across the state and nation, ResponsibleOhio has decided to include regulated and limited home growing as a part of our amendment," said ResponsibleOhio Spokesperson Lydia Bolander.

"Combined with a lower tax rate for consumers, these changes will make our communities safer by smothering the black market."

Opponents claimed that the previous proposal would just create a monopoly for investors so home-growing allowed is a big change.

he revised amendment follows the recently enacted Oregon model, which will allow adults over 21 to obtain a license to grow up to four marijuana plants in an enclosed, secure space that cannot be accessed by people under 21 years of age.

Those who home grow would be prohibited from selling marijuana to others.

"ResponsibleOhio's plan will allow those over 21 to grow their own marijuana for personal use, but forbid their sale of marijuana to the public," Bolander explained.

"We believe that like alcohol, marijuana can be used safely and should be tightly regulated. Adults over 21 years of age are legally permitted to brew their own beer, but they aren't permitted to sell it. Our amendment will allow limited and tightly regulated home grow of marijuana, but like home brewing, individuals will not be allowed to sell to the public."

This week, ResponsibleOhio will begin circulating the new amendment language and collecting the required signatures to file with the Attorney General's office.

29154.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: ResponsibleOhio revises proposal to allow 'home grown' marijuana
Author: WKYC Staff
Photo Credit: Debra Wiseberg
Website: Cleveland news, weather and traffic | Cleveland, Ohio | WKYC.com

Now we're cooking with gas. I'm not from Ohio but dispite the monopoly any legislation that allows for the legal use of cannabis for adults is good legislation in my book. Any legislation that further allows for home cultivation is better in my book.

I don't understand the license part why not just allow people to grow as long as they are over 21, a license gives them a database of people to go after just for example and create fear. Liberty would say just let all people grow lawfully. The rest can pick up some at a store for 5%. I like the idea of an outdoor structure like a greenhouse as long as it is locked and or fence protected with a lock. It would save more energy.

Kindda yea and kindda no. your right. why should someone bge put on a list to plant an annual flower? nobody has to be put on a list to grow... lets say tomatos. At any rate, the smart money is telling us to get what we can no matter what. if it makes possesion legal then go for it. after we are no longer criminals fighting for human rights that we are being deprived of then we become "contributing members of society" never mind that there are some 25ish million daily smokes in the US that don't seem to have any problem contributing but thats really how the law and everyone else sees us. I've heard the saying "over grow the gov't" if we get enough gardens going, and we are providing enough jobs, and the state and fed become even minutely dependent on the tax revenue that cannabis brings then, or people become outraged when someone is jammed up on cannabis charges then the cat will have been let out of the bag there will be no going back only going forward.

Back
Top Bottom