Sexing my plant help - pre-flowers?

Hey all, been a while since I grew from seeds and even longer with regular seed. So I have a question about early pre-flowers. I'm trying to sex these plants right now since I'm getting ready to transplant into finishing containers and want to cull the males before I waste any more time and soil on them.

I have one plant that looks different from the rest of the plants in that it is taller and much more spindly lanky kinda skinny and a lot less shade leaves. All my other plants are bushy and shorter. Can anyone please help me with which sex is which here?? TIA & cheers

Here's a few pics taken with a microscope up close:

This is the lanky tall plant I "thought" was a male
Krystalica_tall_lanky1_pic2_03_13_15.jpg

Krystalica_tall_lanky1_03_13_15.jpg

this is the bushy plant I "thought" was a female

Krystalica2_bushy_03_13_15.jpg

It looks like two ladies to me but to be honest the close up of suspected male is too close but males literally have balls lots and lots of balls and they will flower quick and earlier then the girls so even if it is you will have time to remove it before it releases pollen just keep an eye out for balls bro.

I'd say so far is looking male. A calyx will not raise up away from the plant, but a male will. Plus the stretchy spindly growth is a pretty good indicator. Keep an eye on it

I'd say so far is looking male. A calyx will not raise up away from the plant, but a male will. Plus the stretchy spindly growth is a pretty good indicator. Keep an eye on it

Yeah I thought the first pic looks like a female and the last pic looks male.... It's been a while for me sexing plants, I feel like such a noob, sheesh. I guess I'll have to wait until they are ready to show me whats what. I wanted to cull BEFORE transplanting into the final containers. I'm moving toward no-till. I'm not there yet as I need a bunch more soil, but that's in the works. They are stretching pretty fast and I didn't want to stunt any females. I just went ahead and transplanted them all and I will have to wait a few more days. I'm starting to see some nice budletts forming on the branch ends and MAYBE 2 out of 8 are males - they just "look" different with regard to size/shape I.E. taller, skinnier & less bushy at least I hope that's it. This is a new strain for me so it's like starting all over again. I got used to my last strain I ran for a year. 1st run sucked ass, 2nd run of clones in organics, I KILLED it. I kinda planned ahead for some males so I have a few feminized (Sleestack x Skunk) girls going along as a backup. I "thought" I could see the males but I'm just not sure yet and I'm in week 8 (1 week flower). I feel like a dork... cant tell a girl from a guy, makes me feel like I walked too far north on Bourbon Street in NO! hahaha

Reporting back... they were all males. I started with 8 plants and all the largest were males. Goes to show the males show sex well before any females. The males try to mask that they are males but eventually they show the balls and its very fast from not sure to woah those are balls and looking like they were ready to break open. So my flowering room just got a lot more room for some more ladies. I've decided to pop some auto flowering Sweet Dark Devil. They are 1 day in soil right now and will be adding these to my current grow journal. This grow was all regular seeds and I got 50% male plants... win some loose some, it is what it is.

I'm little bummed but now I get to try some auto flowering and see how that goes - will be doing them all organic with LOS (live organic soil) ACT (aerated compost teas), and SST (sprouted seed teas) along with and part of the LOS soil I'm using Kashi (bokashi) to add mycelium and beneficial bacteria to the soil mix which I recycle each grow.

Back
Top Bottom