'Shatter' - Super-High Potency Pot, Now Appearing On East Coast

Robert Celt

As marijuana expands its presence on the East Coast, a highly concentrated form is now appearing on law enforcement radar: "shatter," a cannabis extract with about 80 percent THC content which is legal in states such as Colorado and Washington, sold in medical marijuana dispensaries in other states, and is more fast-acting and easily concealed than standard smoked marijuana.

On Monday, Loudoun County, Va., sheriff's deputies intercepted a truck near Dulles International Airport which had about $900,000 worth of packaged marijuana. Included in that load was 15 pounds of shatter, in total packaged weight. Shatter, which is sold by the gram because of its potency, retails for about $60 per gram in Colorado, so 10 pounds of shatter would be worth nearly $270,000 - in a state where it's legal. Black-market shatter likely would cost much more.

Shatter is a form of marijuana wax, derived from butane hash oil, and some forms reportedly have as much as 90 percent THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. That is about five times the potency of unrefined smoked cannabis and more powerful than standard hash oil. It is created as a thin, hard translucent layer similar to glass, which can shatter if dropped, and it is typically heated and inhaled through a vaporizer rather than smoked.

Kraig Troxell, a Loudoun sheriff's spokesman, said his department started seeing marijuana wax about a year ago. He said a national cargo transportation company was used to transport the marijuana to Loudoun, which then was picked up by a driver in a rented truck, who was arrested near the Dulles Greenway and Old Ox Road. Troxell did not know where the shipment originated. He said Monday's seizure was the largest amount they had found so far.

Though the high potency of shatter is troubling to parents and law enforcement officials, marijuana advocates point out that no one has ever died from ingesting marijuana. "As long as people are educated about the proper dosage," said Morgan Fox of the Marijuana Policy Project, "it hasn't presented any problem." He likened the difference between shatter and regular marijuana to the difference between whiskey and beer.

Ry Prichard, a writer and photographer for the Denver Post's "Cannabist" blog, noted that hash oil is nothing new, but shatter is a relatively recent refinement as a result of proliferating medical and recreational cannabis programs.

"Shatter and other concentrated cannabis products," Prichard said, "give a stronger, more immediate effect and have shown to have great benefits with a variety of medical conditions because of the quick-acting nature of inhalation or vaporization." He noted that dispensaries in Colorado are now making more than half of their daily sales from concentrates, primarily in edible cannabis products.

Also troubling to authorities is the specter of amateurs attempting to make their own shatter, which involves flammable butane gas. Colorado has reported a sharp rise in the number of home explosions caused by failed attempts to make butane hash oil. Opponents of legalized marijuana say that making cannabis more available will lead to more people attempting to create their own more potent oils, such as shatter.

"Landlords, homeowners and tenants who want to protect their lives, property and fortunes need to rally against any law that will allow the commercialization of marijuana in our nation's capital," wrote landlord and blogger Kimberly Hartke in The Post in February.

Fox said legalizing and regulating marijuana was the way to protect against home hash oil extraction fires, "so businesses are doing it, instead of people making it themselves." Prichard said legal makers of shatter and other concentrates in Colorado are highly regulated, and those who make it illegally are subject to felony charges.

Shatter2.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: 'Shatter' - Super-High Potency Pot, Now Appearing On East Coast
Author: Tom Jackman
Photo Credit: None found

So I guess there's a thread here somewhere to learn how to make this stuff safely? I know how honey oil is made but I'm not sure how they get the oil to turn hard like that? Do you freeze it or do you bake it? Does this "shatter" have any smell that would set off a drug dog if you were transporting it?

To my knowledge, I don't think this stuff has made it to Georgia yet or at least I haven't heard of anyone having it, it's not wide spread knowledge in GA that this stuff even exists, or at least not that I'm aware of?

I would think that the elimination of the plant matter aspect of it would make it a much healthier way to medicate, especially seeing how much of a smaller dose you actually need? I really bad want to try this stuff out for myself.
:volcano-smiley::winkyface:

Hello and Merry Christmas 420 Warrior :)

I don't recommend using butane to make concentrates, without proper lab equipment it is quite hazardous. Also it is not a requirement to make good clean extracts, there are other "safer" techniques that will produce extracts that are just as pure.

The key to making purer extracts is to remove the plant waxes and chlorophyll from your concentrates. My last attempt came out similar to the above (brittle) around the edges and after rolling it up into a ball was the consistency of toffee and the color of a weak tea. The color due more to heating than contaminates.

Do a search for "absolutes" and "polishing extracts" to learn the various techniques, the concept is the same regardless of the plant matter you are starting with.

RC

I'm curious. Since I have seen more high end nail bongs than high end bud bongs for over a year, what makes them say 'Now Appearing.'

In my limited experience with the hair flat iron extraction method, fresh made rosin was milder and tastier than shatter on the street or flat iron rosin stored for 2 weeks. The herb flavor was similar to vaping or smoking a half-hash bowl hit. expando weed seems to make expando shatter when smoked with a nail.

Pot dogs love shatter. I have heard they also love parchment paper stored between uses. In one instance, the dogs found the parchment paper before the grinder :)

For good shatter you need a heated vacuum chamber to purge out the carcinogenic stuff from butane.
Lots of untrained individuals blow up their homes and get busted, then blame the internet for their moronic actions. 420 doesn't want anything from that, good on them!
$60 a gram, that's absolutely insane!!! But normal in USA I guess...
Meh I can't complain about consumer culture, someone sent me an Icrap 6 plus for Christmas and I like it, although I'm sure now crapple is recording everything I do.

Vlad

$60 a gram, that's absolutely insane!!! But normal in USA I guess...

Vlad

1st off no one is insisting anyone pay $60 a gram if they choose not to, much like I do not have to pay $20 a gram just for MJ that is in the bud stage here at one particular dispensary. Like anything here in America, if they think they can get someone to pay that much, that is the fixed price, but if you shop around, seems you can always find it cheaper if only you are willing to look. And yes a dispensary in Hillsboro Oregon is charging $20 a gram for smoke, crazy isn't it, but as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Back
Top Bottom